Brine Salt Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ended up making two batches of brine salt soap with the same exact recipe. I accidentally dissolved the lye first and then added the salt to hot lye water. So I had to make the second batch by making it the other way - dissolve the salt in the water first, and then add the lye :)!

Batch #1: Dissolved the lye first, and then added the salt to the hot lye water.

Due to undissolved salt, soap looked bit grainy and bumpy at first but once I started to use it in water, it became smooth like other CP soap. By the way, I do love it!

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4770-001.JPG

IMG_4781-001.JPG

View attachment 8641

Batch #2: Dissolved the salt in the water first & then added the lye.

Attachments

• IMG_4875.JPG
    IMG_4875.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4884.JPG
    IMG_4884.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4889.JPG
    IMG_4889.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I think that was my mistake, I dissolved the lye first and then added the salt. My soap is not nearly as smooth and pretty as your second picture.

It's amazing the difference in finished soap. Brine Soap or Salt Water Soap is salt (usually 25% of weight of oils) dissolved in water before dissolving lye. A Regular Salt Bar is 50-100% salt (as a % of total Oils) added to the soap batter at trace.
Here's a short vid that describes the chemistry of water dissolving salt.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdedxfhcpWo[/ame]

Your soaps look beautiful! I tried mine, as soon as they stopped zapping, and I love them already. I'm anxious to see what they're like after a full cure. Let us know how you like yours when you give them a try.

Those look very pretty. I would have thought the salt would have dissolved better in the hot water. I guess that is what I get for thinking!

Your soaps look beautiful! I tried mine, as soon as they stopped zapping, and I love them already. I'm anxious to see what they're like after a full cure. Let us know how you like yours when you give them a try.

Tried the first batch and I loved it! I did not use on my face or body yet but tried on my hands. It's creamy and smooth. One thing I noticed is that the brine soap did leave my hands really squeaky clean! The squeaky clean sensation is leading me to think it would be good for my hair as well. So, I am going over the recipe right now to formulate the brine salt shampoo bar!

Wish me luck! :thumbup:

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

Tried the first batch and I loved it! I did not use on my face or body yet but tried on my hands. It's creamy and smooth. One thing I noticed is that the brine soap did leave my hands really squeaky clean! The squeaky clean sensation is leading me to think it would be good for my hair as well. So, I am going over the recipe right now to formulate the brine salt shampoo bar!

Wish me luck! :thumbup:

Can you please post an update on this -- I'm dying to know!

I'd be interested to know as well, as I cannot imagine what it would do. I know how ocean water leaves my hair feeling due to the salt-water, and ewww... LOL (but it could be because of all the organisms as well)

Back