Honey & Milk Soap, smells like sulfer???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkinwounded

Reaction score
Sometimes I make a batch of goats milk and honey soap, CP, no gel, fresh oils, fresh milk, fresh honey, and yet sometimes it smells a little like sulfur or something? Does anyone know what is going on, am I letting it cure long enough? w2 months.

Are you sure it's a sulpher smell and not an ammonia smell? I ask because it's quite normal and par for the course for milk soaps to off-gas an ammonia smell at first, but the smell cures out after a few weeks.

Did you use any colorants? I ask because I've found that some colorants will off-gas a sulpher-like smell at first, but it cures out as well.

Are you saying that yours still have a smell after 2 months of cure?

IrishLass :)

Ammonia smell would be a more accurate discription of the unpleasant smell it has.
I did use colorants, I used oxides on them all, yellow, red, etc. I also used untramarine that smells as well.

It has been a month of cure, the bars curing do not smell as they sit, but I cut a couple in half to give them a little test run, this is when I noticed the smell, but if your saying they will cure-out, then that is good news, I have made GM soap before and never noticed the smell, but I also never gave them an early test run either??????

Latest posts

Back