New but VERY excited

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilligan

Reaction score
I tried to post, but hadn't read about entering the security code...so here goes...again....

I've made 3 batches so far in the last couple of weeks. 2 were different recipes for 100% olive oil (I have gallons of it in the house). The third was a coconut oil/olive oil mix.

My first batch had to be "fixed" a couple of times. Second batch I squished into a bread pan. Third I put into a soap mold.

I have found some answers to some questions about SAP value and what it means for lye calculators (thank you!). Still have some general questions about INS and what it means and some questions about soapcalc.

I'm a little intimidated by the chemistry and math involved but I think I'm smart enough to figure it out....with a little help.

Thanks!

I've been playing around with putting the same recipe into several different lye calculators to see what the difference is. I've also been studying up a bit on which oils/fats have which properties. And reading up in these forums to have some of my questions anwered.

This morning I tried out a recipe using coffe instead of water. It's setting up in the mold now. It just this second dawned on me that I maybe could have scaled the recipe down by at least 50% in case it didn't turn out so I didn't waste expensive ingredients. Oh well... it seems to be working. Some sort of a dark liquid is "weeping" out of it in a couple of places. I'm wondering if I didn't get it to a thick enough trace.

I also can't wait to use up all the Ivory soap I've been using in my laundry soap. Heck, I can MAKE soap for that too!

Welcome to this forum and I'm sure you'll find there's loads of reading that will help answer any questions you might have!

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back