Sodium Carbonate..... Sodium Hydroxide ??? whats the differe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelltilly

Reaction score
Hi, I had great difficulty today purchasing soda crystals today and had to read the label on all the packets in store, most of the shops have stopped selling sodium hydroxide due to the crystal meth drug problem and the bylaws that prohibit its sale. I just wondered if anyone new.. its sold as drain cleaner, but chemicaly its not sodium hydroxide so would it be not use at all in making soap???? its alot cheaper...

Shell :)

You definitely want to obtain sodium hydroxide (NaOH) as other products won't work. It really can be a pain to obtain locally, so you may have to purchase it from a reputable online vendor and have it shipped to you.

You can make soap with sodium carbonate but it's so much work that I don't reccomend it. Carbonates are what people used to make soap before hydroxides were first made in the late 1700's.

Using carbonates, you have to cook the soap at near boiling all day. I have no idea what the sap values are either.

Latest posts

Back