Buttermilk to soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheirenya

Reaction score
I'm interested to put buttermilk in my soap, is it possible add buttermilk to trace and how much? I don't want mix it with lye. Do I need less water then? Heelp!

And does anyone know good recipe already?

if i am adding any milk product i add it at trace and subtract it from my water total. so if i was supposed to use 8 ox of water and i wanted to add 2 oz of milk at trace, then i would make my lye with the 6 oz of water then add the 2 oz of milk at trace for a total of 8. make sense?

I use buttermilk in several of my recipes and like it. I just used the method Krissy gave you for adding the buttermilk yesterday (before I used 100% buttermilk and mixed the lye into it) and I like that method much better.

Anyway, I really like using buttermilk. I make buttermilk castile, and then just a basic soap with it.

Any guidance on what percentage of milk you should use? For example if experimenting, should you not replace more than 50% of the water with buttermilk, maybe 30%, etc.?

I was using 100% The only reason that was a problem was because I found it hard to mix the lye directly into the buttermilk, or whatever milk I was using. I ended up with undissolved lye.

I used 50% water and 50% buttermilk with the "add the milk separately method". The lye seemed to mix into that amount of water without a problem, but the fumes were pretty intense.

kommon_sense said:
Any guidance on what percentage of milk you should use? For example if experimenting, should you not replace more than 50% of the water with buttermilk, maybe 30%, etc.?

I use 100% of frozen buttermilk and add my lye directly to it.

Back