What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay!! sounds like you're getting over your slump!!:)

Getting there! I usually masterbatch 24lbs every 10 days or so, but it's been closer to 4 weeks since the last time I masterbatched. While I could blame that on holidays and sickness (I spent about 3 days in bed the week after Christmas, not sure if I was actually sick or just depressed, Chris was kind enough to humor me and let me sleep whatever it was off) the majority of it was that I really didn't want to make soap. I think the suggestions here to try different things have really helped, I'm somewhat excited about the CPLS attempt. I'm 100% sure that it will never be something that I sell, but it is something I would like to get good at making just to be able to do it.

Got my individual bar molds in today, along with the other loaf molds I bought. I can make over a dozen batches of soap before I run out of molds at this point, and that's NOT including the individual silicone molds I use for overflow. I think I might, just maybe, have enough soap molds. For now.

Tonight, I think I'm going to make a BIG batch of shaving soap- everyone I gave some of the first batch to to try out is wanting more, so I think this batch I'll use those lovely bar molds and make half a dozen or so bars. Should last us all for a couple of months, at least. I may also take a swing at some salt bars. Going to leave the first set of those unscented, though I'm thinking I might add some color just because.

Checked on the soap I made last night, and it's still warm on the bottom so it gets to sit for a while yet. Looks like it gelled all the way through, so that's good.

I was going to make soap, since I wasn't sure how my challenge soap was going to turn out, but I was so happy with it, all I did was cut it, photograph it, admire it and trim it a little bit. I even had a mold all ready and marked for where to fill to for each section, but it just sits there now. I really should start putting some soaps into the curing area and stop admiring them.

amd my baby used to be in the swim team in high school too!

I made a batch for the challenge today. Crossing fingers that the hearts come out right!

I made a BIG batch of shaving soap. 1000g of oils. I've got 18 bars of shaving soap sitting on my counter just now, in my new bar molds. I think it'll take a while to go through it all. Used the same recipe that I did for the first batch, from the Songwind thread, just lowered the coconut by 5% and added 5% more shea butter, as well as upping the SF from 5 to 7%.

I decided to do bars because almost everyone who I'm making this for is female, and pucks aren't all that easy to use on legs and the whole brush thing is pretty much right out for any lady I know (including myself). I'm hoping bars will be easier.

I did wind up with about 20 grams extra water in the soap. I held out some shea to add after the cook and tried to float it in a hot water bath, but the bowl sank and it got a little hot water mixed in with the shea, which of course immediately started melting so I couldn't just pour off the water. Shouldn't be enough to mess anything up, it got thoroughly mixed in.

I've been looking at soap photos online. I am not particularly fond of round soap, but rimmed soap does interest me. So I started looking for non-round rimmed soaps and there are some lovely ones that are square or rectangular rimmed soaps. Maybe I will try that one day instead of round ones. I think what would work really well would be to use a column mold rather, perhaps a quart sized milk carton as a tall mold and lining the outer edges. I've never been tempted to buy a vertical mold because they are so expensive. Maybe if I try it once and like it I will be tempted to buy one, if I can find one at a reasonable price.

I've been looking at soap photos online. I am not particularly fond of round soap, but rimmed soap does interest me. So I started looking for non-round rimmed soaps and there are some lovely ones that are square or rectangular rimmed soaps. Maybe I will try that one day instead of round ones. I think what would work really well would be to use a column mold rather, perhaps a quart sized milk carton as a tall mold and lining the outer edges. I've never been tempted to buy a vertical mold because they are so expensive. Maybe if I try it once and like it I will be tempted to buy one, if I can find one at a reasonable price.

I've made one attempt at a rimmed soap... it was an epic fail. I'm contemplating the attempt again as I have a little idea niggling at my brain that *might* work. I'm going to try it in a loaf mold instead of circular as well. (Although I do really love puck soaps. They fit my hand so much better than the bars. To each their own, right?)

My plumeria scent finally got here, and I was pushing the limits on Valentine's Day, so I very quickly made a tropical-hued plumeria soap for my mother.

This is mostly-lard (coconut and castor round it out), with just a dash of coconut scent added to invoke that tropical beach note...

Plumeria_Soap_01.16.2018_5.jpg

My plumeria scent finally got here, and I was pushing the limits on Valentine's Day, so I very quickly made a tropical-hued plumeria soap for my mother.

This is mostly-lard (coconut and castor round it out), with just a dash of coconut scent added to invoke that tropical beach note...

Plumeria_Soap_01.16.2018_5.jpg

Gorgeous! Those are some drool worthy swirls.

amd, I even tried bidding on ebay for a vertical mold, but lost. That's okay, the bidding war went higher than I really wanted to go anyway. I'll use half & half milk container probably, unless I can find something more suitable before that. I should probably build my own, right?

amd, I even tried bidding on ebay for a vertical mold, but lost. That's okay, the bidding war went higher than I really wanted to go anyway. I'll use half & half milk container probably, unless I can find something more suitable before that. I should probably build my own, right?

A half and half container is the way that I'm going. If all goes well I will add the correctly sized mold request to my chief mold makers list (the hubs makes all my molds).

I planed & beveled blacksmith soap, sprayed it with ETOH and now it sits out drying. I need to shrink wrap and send some off to my brother & nephew. A couple bars for my husbands co-worker who also does a bit of blacksmithing himself. Lots of time looking online at soapy stuff today, too, but didn't spend any money (yet.)

New curing cart

I got this http://a.co/8VuDYtJ delivered and loaded it up with soap. It sways a bit on carpet when loaded, but I won’t be moving it much. I’ve got about 30 pounds loaded now. It’s pretty sturdy standing upright and the mesh on the shelves is very fine so shouldn’t mark up the soft soap. The best part is I paid for it with my rebates from Ibotta...free $!

AB2B867E-9B6E-4EF8-9143-A42936BF2617.jpg

I got this http://a.co/8VuDYtJ delivered and loaded it up with soap. It sways a bit on carpet when loaded, but I won’t be moving it much. I’ve got about 30 pounds loaded now. It’s pretty sturdy standing upright and the mesh on the shelves is very fine so shouldn’t mark up the soft soap. The best part is I paid for it with my rebates from Ibotta...free $!

I have the same one I got at ikea for 14 bucks! Is on a corner in my closet.

However, may I suggest you put some paper or cardboard under the soap? it should not be touching metal.

That’s a good suggestion. I haven’t had a problem in the past with painted metal but it can’t hurt.

Mainly your soap can get DOS! And you do not want them to get ruined.

What I did with my bins is open empty cereal boxes and lay them flat, and then put that non slippery rubbery thingy that comes in a roll on top. Works great!

Back