Prep for February Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use them for decoration on top of soap. Is that what you mean or do you mean embeds totally hidden inside the soap?

For one of my Christmas soaps, I made balls of various sizes and sunk them into the batter so that I ended up with differently sized dots. This was not my own idea-- I saw a couple of YouTube soapers do it before.

I mean full embeds hidden inside, like artemis describes. Except they'd be a 2-D rendition of a 3-D subject, meaning they'd be basically be cylindrical (or somewhat regular) all the way through the loaf so that when you cut, you consistently get the same scene in every bar.

I don't know if it's possible but at this point I don't see why not. But hey, this is soap, I'm sure reality will reveal itself to me if I should try!

I mean full embeds hidden inside, like artemis describes. Except they'd be a 2-D rendition of a 3-D subject, meaning they'd be basically be cylindrical (or somewhat regular) all the way through the loaf so that when you cut, you consistently get the same scene in every bar.

I don't know if it's possible but at this point I don't see why not. But hey, this is soap, I'm sure reality will reveal itself to me if I should try!

This works.

Yes, Carabou, you can do that. I posted some pictures in the photo section of some soap dough things embedded in the bars. That will be fine for the challenge.

Great! I finally found your pics in the photo gallery. I kept searching back through this thread wondering where they were at! Sorry, I'm a little slow. For all you other slow pokes, it's here:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68722

I had no idea what 'caning' is. After doing a little research, it sounds like exactly what I was trying to describe (a 2-D cylinder, minus the part about encompassing in a soap matrix). Told you I'm slow to the party, lol.

Can't wait for February challenge ( if I'm eligible), missed out on Amy Warden' s challenges and I love soap dough. For christmas I had lots of roses, snowflakes, candy canes, holly leafs and berry ready in dough, than made a load of piped cupcakes with a christmasy fragrances then plopped my embeds on them, bit a glitter, and that sorted out all the friends and neighbours presents!! Happy days ;-)

Misschief, I saw that yesterday when I spent hours searching for tutorials and youtube videos on soap dough soaps. What fun to watch, but my goodness so much time I spend just watching youtube the last 2 days!

So here's my question for all you experienced soap dough makers: Is it necessary to put the soap batter into a mold before then putting it into a baggy to store? Can't I just put it into the baggy to start with? And when does refrigeration come into it? Does it matter when one refrigerates the soap dough? Okay, that was more than one question. Also would 33% Lye Concentration not be enough water? I notice most say to use full water, and many talk about water to oils, which is a setting I rarely use in my lye calculator, so not sure about how much I should change my recipe (just that setting, not the recipe itself.)

I have pour my soap dough into a bowl lined with cling film, after a couple of days, tipped it over and just wrapped the excess film onto the soap dough. I'd imagine pouring it into the bag directly would be the same, maybe a bit harder to "unmold". I've never refrigerated soap dough, turned our perfect.

Lots of creative dough-soapers out there. I love how 'critter friendly' this technique is!

It seems like most people do 3-D sculptures. Does anyone use them as embeds so in the end they have a bar of soap? There's a design I've been wanting to create but wasn't quite sure how. I think this holds the ticket!

Carabou, to see some soaps with soap dough embeds, you could watch a few Black Cat Blues youtube videos (Vicki Frost). She uses soap dough for loads of her designs and many include embeds as well as surface garnishments. Incredible detail. Here's her channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdw8dVf0eaCtUHiaxB2pAmw/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=2[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E9hIsY9pzg"][/ame]

So here's my question for all you experienced soap dough makers: Is it necessary to put the soap batter into a mold before then putting it into a baggy to store? Can't I just put it into the baggy to start with? And when does refrigeration come into it? Does it matter when one refrigerates the soap dough? Okay, that was more than one question. Also would 33% Lye Concentration not be enough water? I notice most say to use full water, and many talk about water to oils, which is a setting I rarely use in my lye calculator, so not sure about how much I should change my recipe (just that setting, not the recipe itself.)

I wouldn't count myself as that experienced with soap dough, except I do know that it will cure just nicely in a ziplock bag and turns out easily (by flipping the bag inside out, just like taking off a rubber glove - it doesn't stick). Leave the bag open for the first bit, otherwise it can trigger gel.

One of my recipes is a 33% lye concentration - that one I wouldn't want any more water (it gets sticky pretty quickly when working with it), and another one is a 28% lye concentration (full water) recipe.

I know from previous experience the full water one is a good modelling soap, but it's hard to stop it from gelling, so I suppose that's where refrigeration might come into it.

Thank you, SaltedFig. I discovered that my soap worked just fine at [33% Lye] saponifying in the ziplock baggies in the fridge. They came right out exactly as you said, by turning the baggie inside out. Since that was only 3 colors, I plan to make another batch today and mix a few more colors. I'll use the same recipe because I like how this one worked for me. As to refrigeration, I thought I read somewhere here or elsewhere that someone was refrigerating their soap dough. But on the numerous videos I have been watching, that hasn't been mentioned at all, so I am guessing it's not generally necessary. However, it doesn't seem to have hurt anything that I did refrigerate my first batch of soap dough at the start. Perhaps with the next one, I will leave some out to see what and if there is any difference.

As to refrigeration, I thought I read somewhere here or elsewhere that someone was refrigerating their soap dough. But on the numerous videos I have been watching, that hasn't been mentioned at all, so I am guessing it's not generally necessary. However, it doesn't seem to have hurt anything that I did refrigerate my first batch of soap dough at the start. Perhaps with the next one, I will leave some out to see what and if there is any difference.

Mine isn't being refrigerated; at least, not in a refrigerator. Mine is in our spare room, which doubles as my craft room, where the heat is turned off. With outside temps hovering around freezing, it's cool in that room. It's been in there for two weeks now and is just fine.

Hmmm.... I'm going to try the ziploc baggie method tonight. Usually I just use solo cups, but if I can reduce waste going into the garbage I'm going to try it. I've come up to the recipe that I made up for the challenge on my "to do list" and I still need a few colors of dough. But I also have my first show on Saturday and people have been asking me for bubble scoops (which I haven't made in almost a year!!) and my husband is still waiting for his salt bars...

Does anyone know if the soap dough design needs to 3D or can it be 2D? The design I have in mind is going to be flat across the top of the soap, so I'm hoping that works for the challenge.

Well, I had an interestingly strange experience with one of the colors of my 13 color soap dough that I made 2 nights ago. So the dough is about 41 hours of age ATM. I soaped very cool and left the plastic-wrapped soap dough out in my cold house non-insulated for that time. I checked temps once, and poked at some of the colored rectangles a few times. Temps remained cool, the ones I poked set up but remained soft enough I felt waiting another day would have been fine, but I unmolded and wrapped in plastic more tightly today.

The strangely interesting experience is that one bar, the one colored with Silver Graphite mica from Steph's Micas & More was hard and broke into squares (like bakers chocolate breaks into squares when it is scored). I was amazed that when the rest of the bars are still soft and pliable, this one acts as though it decided to gel all on it's own in a little cavity mold on the outer edge of the multi-cavity mold with no heat transference going on. Very odd indeed. I might have expected it with the TD soap, which was actually in a disposable plastic cup because I only had 12 cavities total in the 2 molds, and it was a larger amount. It is a bit harder as I expected, but still soft enough I can work it into pliability.

I plan to come back to these tomorrow (or late tonight, since Hubby & I are going out later to a movie and dinner) and maybe I can work on the silver graphite colored soap to see if it can become pliable. If not, I'll make another one tomorrow when I make the blues I forgot to include in my 13 colors range, but refrigerate it and keep a really close watch.

So I was thinking about this, and while I will give a try to making the dough from CP, there is more than one way to make soap dough with MP.

So is this going to be an CP challenge exclusively? Do we have to use sorcery recipe?

As an idea, why don't you post the challenge already with pictures samples of what the challenge and rules would be? That would be so helpful!

SunRiseArts, earlier in the thread newbie mentioned using MP soap dough, and I think she or someone else included a link about MP soap dough. She also said in a subsequent post (beyond the initial post) that we can use any soap dough recipe we choose and that it doesn't have to be the Sorcery recipe. Several recipe links have been included by different folks here, and some of us are planning on using our own regular soap recipes. That's what I am doing. I've made some for practice using one of my regular recipes and I am happy with how it performs, so I made several more colors to give me a variety of options.

Please expand on the 'more than one way to make soap dough with MP' because I am very interested in learning. I don't do much MP, but I do still have a couple of bases left from projects with my granddaughter.

No clue about the last question, but newbie should be along any day now and we should know very soon.

Sorry to be late but as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't post the challenge early because then it competes with the January challenge. One at a time! If I had worked on a challenge and then people went and focused on the next one instead, I would feel a bit miffed. Hope you can stand in our shoes and understand.

What is being used for "glue"? I've had some success with water, zero success with m&p.

Latest posts

Back