Not quite as planned...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
I had planned to do a black and white soap that would have a sitting cat silhouette in the middle. Yea, that didn't happen. Mixed up my soap, a trifle on the warm side, but not too much I thought. Added my fragrance and ZOOM! There it went. Not so much that I couldn't get color added, but there was no way I was going to have time to do intricate designs. And my fragrance made the soap decidedly yellow, so instead of black and white I have black and yellow. Decided to go with just simple swirls, and I think it's going to come out pretty. I used titanium dioxide in part of the batter, so it might make some glycerin rivers, which will probably look really neat. I don't think I need to insulate, it's a double wide tall and skinny mold and full all the way to the top and I started warm.

20180104_012033-1772.jpg

I've got an oven bag around the base of the mold and about halfway up the sides, in case there's any leakage. Don't think there will be any, though, the soap is already set fairly well.

Don't you just love when things don't go as planned. It looks like it will still be a nice soap. It may also lighten some and not be so yellow. Though black and yellow go together well. :)

Don't you just love when things don't go as planned. It looks like it will still be a nice soap. It may also lighten some and not be so yellow. Though black and yellow go together well. :)

Heh. Just means I'll have to try the original idea again. Oh, noes! :) I'll have to come up with some totally different fragrance, alas. Oh, noes again? I think it's going to stay pretty yellow, the scent is mostly rose absolute, with small amounts of other EOs to add a little complexity. Smells lovely, and so far rose type scents are sticking well for me. I do hope I get the glycerin rivers. I decided to insulate the soap just a bit, inverted a box over it and draped a couple of towels just to encourage them.

Does anyone else see the dragon?

The first cut made me reconsider just how I wanted to cut the whole loaf up.

20180105_201005-1773.jpg

I had originally planned to cut each half of the loaf into bars, with the face showing ending up as the narrow side of the bar, but after seeing that I decided to split the entire loaf into slabs and cut those up into bars to show off the swirls. My bar size is all over the place, and nothing like uniform. And my pictures are upside down. Oops.

20180105_205411-1774.jpg

I have officially fallen in love with my loaf splitter. I'm looking forward to using it again for this month's challenge.

Wow! I am still trying to wrap my head around cutting soaps width-wise vs lengthwise, etc. but from your soaps it's clear how amazing the results can be!

Thanks for sharing!

They look great. I like black and yellow as well as black and white. I really like the first cut, and am looking at big Gargoyles. The wings, feet, body and eyes are all there :)You just got a different critter than the planned kitty

They look great. I like black and yellow as well as black and white. I really like the first cut, and am looking at big Gargoyles. The wings, feet, body and eyes are all there :)You just got a different critter than the planned kitty

Huh. I think I can kind of see them. But looks more like the stone guy (The Thing -really? That's the best the writers could come up with for a guy transformed into living stone??- ) from the Fantastic 4 than gargoyles to me.

Huh. I think I can kind of see them. But looks more like the stone guy (The Thing -really? That's the best the writers could come up with for a guy transformed into living stone??- ) from the Fantastic 4 than gargoyles to me.
All I could think of was a gargoyle, but stone man works too. If she turns the soap he will really be seen

Good call Kittish.. love the colours n swirl.. try cat shaped cookie cutters placed inside the mould n pouring the batter if u still want to try cat silhouette.

Back