~*~ SMF January 2018 Challenge- Hidden Heart Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At November 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > Sodium Hydroxide in Lotion?

Old 12-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #21
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11535 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

You can buy both (or used to, anyway) at Essential Depot. I don't think there's a big difference in price.

The point about using "food grade" ingredients is that they're intended for use in food. Food grade standards for heavy metals and other contaminants are determined to protect the quality of food, especially food consumed by children who are more sensitive to heavy metal contaminants than adults.

Soap doesn't get eaten -- and we only use a few grams of soap per day. Compare that to the weight of the food and water we consume.

If it makes you feel better to use food grade NaOH and you have a reasonably priced, reliable source, then by all means use it. If it's hard to find or the added cost is going to break the budget, then tech grade is plenty fine.

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2017, 03:55 AM   #22
MissE

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
You can buy both (or used to, anyway) at Essential Depot. I don't think there's a big difference in price.

The point about using "food grade" ingredients is that they're intended for use in food. Food grade standards for heavy metals and other contaminants are determined to protect the quality of food, especially food consumed by children who are more sensitive to heavy metal contaminants than adults.

Soap doesn't get eaten -- and we only use a few grams of soap per day. Compare that to the weight of the food and water we consume.

If it makes you feel better to use food grade NaOH and you have a reasonably priced, reliable source, then by all means use it. If it's hard to find or the added cost is going to break the budget, then tech grade is plenty fine.

Thank you for the guidance, DeeAnna!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #23
Arimara
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1249 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 4103

I probably should add that when you are making pretzels and bagels with NaOH, The dough for those breads are dipped into an extremely diluted solution. The NaOh solution helps these breads develop that distinctive "crust" on the outside that we all know and love. It's not like they put it into out bread.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #24
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8388 Times on 4009 Posts
Likes Given: 3838

Over here we brush it over with a pastry brush. That's how weak the solution is - my pastry brush survives repeated use in it. It's something like 6%

Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #25
MissE

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Thanks, everyone, for the inputs. I want to report that this morning when I had to wash my hand soon after using my lotion (the one with the sodium hydroxide), I observed that there was a little bit of lather in the water