A few questions prior to starting a business(testing, etc.)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momo42

Reaction score
Hello! I have been buying handmade soaps/body products for a couple of years now, and I have become very interested in the whole process of creating them as well. I have started making a couple of them for my own family, and am planning to try more soon. Eventually, I would love to learn to make soap, but that won't happen for a while. One day, I would like to be able to have my own business, but I know there is a lot that comes before that, so I thought I'd ask for some input from those of you who are way ahead of me. Here are my questions:

1) How long should I plan on testing the products before selling them, and how large of a test group should I have?,

2) What is the etiquette for finding and using product recipes? I know there are many online, but should I be tweaking them, or coming up with my own, so as to not be just using them? I do not want to be taking credit for something I didn't come up with, but I wasn't sure how to get started without at least using them for a reference, and finally:

3) I have ordered supplies to start testing (on my willing family members), but I am curious as to how much I should expect to spend regularly? I know that is a question that would be different for each person depending on what they create (and depending on whether you create for yourself or have a business), but I am wondering what I will need to budget just for testing. I have only spent about $130.00 so far, and I know I could easily spend waaaaaaaaayyy more :lol:!!

This is something I know I want to do, but I know it will take time, testing, and a lot of learning, and I appreciate input from those who are much more knowledgeable than I am!! Thank you!!!

Lisa

Have I posted this in the wrong forum? I just wanted to get some feedback about the whole starting out process. If anyone can help me out with input, I would really appreciate it. I just really want to do things the right way, and thought I could get some help. Thank you so much!

Thank you so much Krissy :)! I did a search, but since I'm focusing on bath and body for now, I didn't even read that one (but should have). I really appreciate you responding!! I figured that I would need to do a lot of research and testing before ever selling anything, and this helps a lot! Thanks again!

Back