My soap came out greasy...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pug Mom

Reaction score
I made a batch of my basic recipe soap yesterday. The only thing I did different is I disolved some tussah silk noil in the lye water. I noticed that it took a lot longer to gel and set and then this morning when I went to take it out of the mold it feels greasy to the touch. I am bummed because I love how it came out otherwise. Mayan Gold FO and I used Tumeric to color it. Is the silk the reason for the long set time and the greasy feel? Do you think the greasy feel will go away as it cures?

I use silk in every batch and the soap acts like any other batch. I do have a batch (GM&H) that felt really greasy when it came out of the mold. After 24 hours it has dried up quite nicely.....

My soap comes out greasy quite often... no matter what recipe I use. I think it's because I unmold it too soon, because after a few hours of being cut the extra oil absorbs and it's fine.

Adding Tussa silk has never given me any issues like that at all. I would let it cure and see what happens. I've seen so many things reabsorb during cure- oil, honey, FO- that seeing a few leaky things like that just after unmolding and cutting doesn't faze me like it used to. I just bide my time and let it cure and meld back in.

IrishLass :)

Was the air temp or humidity very different to when you usually soap? That can sometimes affect the way a batch will gel/saponify. Leaving it is definitely the best advice. Most soap turns out fine sooner or later!

Tanya :)

Thanks guys! It already feels less greasy, the top is a little greasy still, but that's it. Nope, no difference in the air temp or humidity this time.... I bet it absorbs back in in time. I am so impatient!!

it can end up greasy if it overheated a little, if it wasn't absolutely completely emulsified, because the moon is waxing, because you super duper superfatted...

Back