Howdy Yall!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
Howdy from Texas! The wife and I were looking to do something with our used cooking oil, so on a whim I looked up soap making and found this forum. Made our first batch today using 80% used peanut oil and 20% coconut oil. Hopefully it will turn out.

Any suggestions on deodorizing the oil? I tried shaking this batch with hot water with baking soda and salt, but it didn't help very much.

Looking forward to making some batches with "good" oil.

Thanks

Thanks for the links! Looks like most people used the same formula as I did: 80/20 with coconut oil. If it doesn't turn out I'm not out anything and it was a fun first batch to learn from.

I'd like to make some bar soap for the bath next. Any suggestions on an easy recipe for a newbie?

Welcome to the forum!

You just asked a dangerous question.
We all have our favorites.
I like:
Lard @ 40%
Olive oil Pomace @ 30%
Rice bran oil @ 16%
Coconut oil @ 9%
Castor oil @ 5%

But I do use vinegar to add hardness to the soap since this makes a rather soft bar.

I have found that - for me - I need to keep the "cleansing value" below 12 or soap dries my old hide out. This tends to have my recipes be soft. Thus the vinegar ( acetic acid converted to sodium acetate). It's not too difficult and there are several threads discussing it around here somewhere. I'll get my google fu out and see if I can find one.

Steve

Link:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=59295

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back