Soap Leave Hands Feeling Slick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokestacklightning

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a beginner who recently made my first batch of soap. It came out much better than expected, but still could use some tweaking. When I use the soap, it leaves my hands feeling slick. It feels like it never fully rinses off, even though it has. I've used the soap in both hard and soft water, and it feels the same in both. Here is my recipe - is there anything I could do to eliminate this slippery/slick feeling?

Water - 8 oz.
Lye - 4.4 oz.
olive oil - 18 oz
Coconut oil - 8 oz.
Shea butter - 6 oz.
Fragranced with essential oils

Did you use unrefined/raw/natural shea? It has a high amount of unsaponifiables (up to 10% I think) which means you can have a lot left in your soap after curing. And since you used 20% in your recipe, that would definitely make a difference!

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! It's been curing for about 2 months, and we've tried it in both hard and soft water. My shea is unrefined, and that is a whole lot of olive oil, so I'll try and cut back on these and add something else. Could the essential oils cause any issues like this? Thanks again!

I'll second the question, "what was your superfat?" Many blogs make a high superfat sound luxurious, and if you're anything like me you might round up / add just a dash more oil than your recipe calls for in your first few batches 'just in case'. A little too much superfat can certainly make a soap feel slick.

Also, high olive oil recipes are dissappointing for the first 6 (or nine!) months. That is when you finally get to find out if your soap is meh or fabulous ;)

Congrats on your first batch of soap! It takes guts to start this hobby!

Edit: I see you put the lye amount in your recipe. Too lazy to calculate that at the moment. P.S. I don't think it's the EOs.

Thanks! Ah well, guess all that's needed now is patience.

Smokestack, are you okay with using palm or lard? There are some great recipes floating around SMF.

When you said your soap left your hands feeling slick after rinsing, the first thing I thought of was that it might be lye heavy. However, running your recipe through soapee.com shows that it should be fine.

Did you zap test it? Is it possible that your scale went wonky while weighing out your ingredients? If you're not sure about zap testing, easy instructions can be found here: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=63199

I would zap test it, and if there is no zap; then I think as others have suggested it's just a matter of curing time. With that much olive oil, I can see how it might feel slimy/slick after rinsing. High olive soaps can be very gentle to use, but they can also feel slimy. Additionally, high olive oil soaps take a loooooong time to cure. Some folks recommend 6 months to 1 year before they feel they are at their best.

I made similar soap recipe and It feel the same, my suspension is because of high butter content. I use 6 oz of cocoa butter.

Back