Resource Help please.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago, I made a decision to stop buying books willie-nilly because I had just too many books. It used to be my dream to have a huge library in my home with wall-to-wall & floor-to-ceiling shelving and rolling library ladders and the whole nine yards, but my dreams change. So I commenced the book down-sizing project and made a pact with myself to only keep & purchase a narrow selection of books, and began borrowing whenever possible in order to save myself the dilemma of what to do with excess books. If after borrowing a book (from the library), I found that it was one I really wanted to keep, then I consider purchasing a copy. It doesn't happen often that I end up purchasing after reading from the library.

So when it came to soapmaking books I have done pretty much that same thing. I have borrowed every soapmaking book I can find via our state-wide library system. I own Scientific Soapmaking: the Chemistry of the Cold Process which I asked Kevin Dunn to sign when I met him. Other than that, I bought a couple of used books really cheap thinking if I don't like them I can always donate them, and that's where they went - the donation bag. I do like Anne Watson's books, but I remain undecided on purchasing one. And I currently do have one of the Faioli books from the library that I like, but I don't think I will purchase it as a reference book.

Kevin Dunn's book is much more fitting as a reference book than any of the others I have seen and I do open it for reference on occasions. So I am happy that it was the one I chose to become a permanent addition to my library.

I checked out this book on Amazon (because there you can preview them). They write "natural soaps" on the cover, which am just what I'm looking for. But you should dig deep to find any natural in that book. No, that's a definate no-buy for me. I don't see fragrance oils as natural.
I hear your frustration but maybe it would ease you a little to understand that the authors were home-based hobbyists that then became business women as they grew in knowledge and experience. They wrote the book to share their knowledge and experience with others. They were not academics or even English majors (like me) and they were essentially at the mercy of the editor and publisher of that book. As a free-lance editor I can tell you that working with a publisher is no walk in the park.

I know one of the authors, Zonella Gould, personally. I have not read her book but she is extremely knowledgeable about soap making and continues to help Newbies that join her online Yahoo group, Soap and Other Obsessions. While you're correct in saying "I don't see fragrance oils as natural", fragrance oils are a big part of selling soap -- to quote Zo, "Fragrance sells!" For her to not mention this very basic element of soap making / selling would leave a huge gap in what people need to know about scenting their products.

With all due respect, if this is the only complaint you have about why not to buy that book (which I believe is out of print any way) then I think you may be "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

If I had not been for hours and hours on Youtube watching a ton of soapmaking videos, I'm sure I would appreciate a beginner book.
I hear ya! But here's something to think about... I made my first batch of soap in 2003. I came across a book in the bargain bin at Barnes & Noble, "Making Soap and Scents" by Catherine Bardey. It was a small book, hardback, elegantly designed with lots of pictures and excellent recipes. I paged through it and said, "I can do that!" LOL That book launched my soap making journey because it had a recipe for making transparent soap, which is what I wanted.

Now, get this, YouTube wasn't even an option back then! The few soap making sites were confined to Forums and later Yahoo groups that are almost all defunct today. Likewise, most of the books we recommend were written well before YouTube came about. So, if you want a Bible of soapmaking, then I think you should think about writing it. (LOL Just teasing you!) But I wouldn't recommend it. With all the free stuff on the internet, who would even be interested in buying that "Bible" -- especially since whatever soap making method is current today, may be passé tomorrow?

One recommendation that was mentioned previously, Susan Miller Cavitch's book, "Soapmakers Companion" is the closest thing to a "Bible" than any other book I know of. It is a "Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How". It is a companion to her earlier book "The Natural Soap Book", that you might also want to have in your reference library because the Companion builds upon that book.

Two things you need to know tho, (1) Cavitch recommends GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) as an "optional preservative" -- which IMHO and IME you don't need if your soaps are fully saponified; and (2) She uses a 10% lye discount (superfat) in all her recipes which may or may not be to your liking. SoapCalc's default of 5% is probably a better place to start.

HTH :bunny:

I don't recall the OP asking about "natural" soap making references -- just good references for soap making in general.

People start debates about the meaning of "natural" quite often on this Forum. Problem is -- "natural" means exactly what it means to the soap maker using the word; it doesn't have a generally accepted definition to all. The result is that "natural" has become a buzzword to build sales, not a word with useful meaning.

If someone doesn't want to use fragrance oils, then don't. And if one doesn't want to use "not natural" colorants, then don't. A decent soap recipe is a decent recipe regardless of one's quibbles about the details.

No, it's just me that is looking for good books about all-natural soap making, among others. And I don't think it's anything wrong with using synthetics for fragrance and color, some prefer that, some prefer otherwise, and some do both. (I think I will do both, some synthetics but mostly natural).

And yes, what is natural and not can be debated, and should be debated, but I think some things are just not natural at all, like for example synthetic made aroma chemicals not derived from natural products. I can't imagine there is too much debate about that. Natural does not have a clear definition, yes, but there are some limits to how far out it can be. There are debates about natural isolates, nature identical essential oils and fragrance oils based on natural isolates. And there are debate about mineral colors and other things. Lye, for example. And I see debates as a good thing. Debates are where you can find out that mineral colors, which are often advertised as natural, are made synthetically in America because of safety, for example.

Buzzword for building sales, yes, I'm sure it is for some. But that doesn't mean that natural soapmaking is a joke just because someone uses it for building sales. And it also depends on where you are selling. Europe is in general more leaning towards natural soaps and cosmetics than America. And it can vary a lot from country to country. What really are buzzwords for sales, are all those lists of benefits a soap is claimed to have. Nobody writes what chemical transformations that happens when those benefitial ingredients comes in contact with lye. Claims that does not seem to be very likely definately not come from just all-natural soapmakers.

I don't think soapmaking is more or less all about making a decent recipe. It can be for some, but if you take the art out of soaps, what is left? Nothing for me, for sure.

That list was just a the list I've made of all books I've seen recommended here. I think the "natural" is that it is soap vs detergent.

Yes, sorry that I made it look like it was your fault that the book was not for my taste. That was not the meaning at all. I was using that list to see if I could find something interesting. Yes, it must be homemade soap vs detergents. That makes sense.

I hear your frustration but maybe it would ease you a little to understand that the authors were home-based hobbyists that then became business women as they grew in knowledge and experience. They wrote the book to share their knowledge and experience with others. They were not academics or even English majors (like me) and they were essentially at the mercy of the editor and publisher of that book. As a free-lance editor I can tell you that working with a publisher is no walk in the park.

I know one of the authors, Zonella Gould, personally. I have not read her book but she is extremely knowledgeable about soap making and continues to help Newbies that join her online Yahoo group, Soap and Other Obsessions. While you're correct in saying "I don't see fragrance oils as natural", fragrance oils are a big part of selling soap -- to quote Zo, "Fragrance sells!" For her to not mention this very basic element of soap making / selling would leave a huge gap in what people need to know about scenting their products.

With all due respect, if this is the only complaint you have about why not to buy that book (which I believe is out of print any way) then I think you may be "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

I really enjoyed reading this post. Very interesting, all of it :) Yes, it was my only complaint. I was reading the table of contents, and stopped when I saw fragrance oils, and did not look any further.

But, now I took a closer look, and it seem to be a great book with interesting topics! I might buy it, actually. So thank you :)

I hear ya! But here's something to think about... I made my first batch of soap in 2003. I came across a book in the bargain bin at Barnes & Noble, "Making Soap and Scents" by Catherine Bardey. It was a small book, hardback, elegantly designed with lots of pictures and excellent recipes. I paged through it and said, "I can do that!" LOL That book launched my soap making journey because it had a recipe for making transparent soap, which is what I wanted.

Now, get this, YouTube wasn't even an option back then! The few soap making sites were confined to Forums and later Yahoo groups that are almost all defunct today. Likewise, most of the books we recommend were written well before YouTube came about. So, if you want a Bible of soapmaking, then I think you should think about writing it. (LOL Just teasing you!) But I wouldn't recommend it. With all the free stuff on the internet, who would even be interested in buying that "Bible" -- especially since whatever soap making method is current today, may be passé tomorrow?

One recommendation that was mentioned previously, Susan Miller Cavitch's book, "Soapmakers Companion" is the closest thing to a "Bible" than any other book I know of. It is a "Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How". It is a companion to her earlier book "The Natural Soap Book", that you might also want to have in your reference library because the Companion builds upon that book.

Two things you need to know tho, (1) Cavitch recommends GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) as an "optional preservative" -- which IMHO and IME you don't need if your soaps are fully saponified; and (2) She uses a 10% lye discount (superfat) in all her recipes which may or may not be to your liking. SoapCalc's default of 5% is probably a better place to start.

HTH :bunny:

Thank you for the recommendations. I must check them out :)

Youtube and forums has its limits. It's not very easy to navigate and find exactly what you are searching. And when you need it again, it is almost impossible to find it again, or it is deleted. So books have an advantage, and yes, all the little things you can stumble over and get inspired by in books.

Youtube and forums has its limits. It's not very easy to navigate and find exactly what you are searching. And when you need it again, it is almost impossible to find it again, or it is deleted. So books have an advantage, and yes, all the little things you can stumble over and get inspired by in books.
LOL I totally agree with everything you said here! Plus, YouTube is NOT the best place to learn to soap. There's a Sticky in the Beginner's Forum that recommends reliable sources on line. Some are old school and some are Blogs. "Lovin' Soap" is one of my favorites. Amanda and her hubby are making a difference in the world, so that makes supporting their on line efforts doubly rewarding, to my mind at least.

If you haven't already done so, to avoid losing an URL you'd like to go back to, start bookmarking every thing you like... you can always delete stuff later. Here's a list of Folders I have in my Bookmarks. Each folder has gobs of goodies in it, or some have just a few links. But organizing it this way helps me to find what I'm looking for almost all the time.

Additives
Aromatherapy
Candles
Colorants
Cosmetics
Cos Recipes
Crafts
EOs
Equipment
FOs
Formulary
Hair