ROE and DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fujihime

Reaction score
I read that ROE(rosemary extract) can be used to prevent DOS. I would like to know if roe is the same as rosemary essential oil? Or can rosemary essential oil be used as a substitute?

No, ROE and rosemary EO are different products. Until further research proves otherwise, the answer is they are not interchangeable. Some people suspect that rosemary essential oil (EO) has preservative properties, but it is unknown whether rosemary EO is as effective as ROE is for preserving fats. Kevin Dunn stated in his book Scientific Soapmaking that the rosemarinic acid in ROE that is the key antioxidant that preserves fats; this acid is not present in rosemary EO.

Even though the EO and ROE are made from the same plant, they contain quite different blends of chemicals due to the way each is made.

Rosemary EO is made by steam distillation. Steam distillation removes only the very lightest of the volatile chemicals in the plant material -- the chemicals we call essential oils.

Rosemary oleoresin is made by soaking the same plant material in a solvent. The solvent dissolves the essential oils AND the less volatile chemicals in the plant material. The solvent is evaporated leaving the "oleoresin" behind. An oleoresin contains the EO mixed with the heavier resins, waxes, and oils also dissolved by the solvent.

More: https://classicbells.com/soap/ROE.html

Ditto all the above.

I'd just like to add a few notes from my files that might be helpful if you're considering using it in your soap batches. I've been adding it to every soap batch since I first started making soap, and I've never experienced DOS. That may be due to the ROE... or maybe I'm just a Lucky Duck! LOL

Rosemary Oleoresin Extract (ROE)
INCI: Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract

It's available at most suppliers. I buy mine from Lotion Crafter:
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Rosemary-Oleoresin-ROE-pr-16492.html

ROE is oil soluble, typically used to prevent oils from becoming rancid. It is not a preservative, but rather an antioxidant -- attributed in large part to carnosic acid, one of its major constituents. In addition to Carnosic Acid, Rosemary Oleoresin also contains Rosmarinic Acid, Rosmaridiphenol, Carnosol, Rosmanol, and Rosmaridiquinone. Used at very low %'s, it is not only effective, but economical as well.

I add it to unstable oils when the bottle is first opened, and to my soaping oils before adding the lye solution. It's a very thick, sticky, liquid, so I thin it with jojoba oil to make it easier to use:

2 oz. ROE
4 oz. Jojoba Oil
Use Rate: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon PPO (Per Pound Oils)

Swift Crafty Monkey has a ton of information on ROE, plus ways to use it in other products. Here's a link. (Scroll all the way down the page to the menu on the right.)

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com

HTH :bunny:

Last edited:
Zany_in_CO
So do you mean you add the ROE to your unstable eo/fo when you first open them? If so how much? I do see you add to your base oils just befor mixing.. i have heard of DOS but in my 6 years or more of soaping have been lucky enough to never have had them til now... so trying to learn how to prevent any more problems with them. I have only noticed them with my eucalyptus and peppermint CP soaps...thank you!!

Zany_in_CO So do you mean you add the ROE to your unstable eo/fo when you first open them?
Oh, no, no, no... so sorry I wasn't clear jodym... I add ROE to my base oils only, not to EOs or FOs. I highly doubt your EO/FO is contributing in any way to your DOS problem.

Thank you so much! Thats pretty much what i thought.. i order in bulk, 50 lb pails of coconut & palm then i measure what i need + a few other oils, for each batch ( 1.8lb / 823 grams ) and may not use the per batch oils for sometimes 4-6 months. Im thinking i should add about 1/2 tsp of the ROE mixure ( 2oz ROE + 4 oz Jojoba oil ) to each per batch of base oils. I have been making soap for 6ish years and this is the 1st time i have ever had this problem. So have been researching as much as i can on this.. Thank you for your help!!

Last edited:
Back