More computer woes.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
I have a USB that is full of music so I bought a 250 GB external hard drive as it did not cost much more than another 16 GB usb. I dragged all my music from Windows Media Player into it as I did with the USB and the music will play on my PC through Media Player but when I plug the external hard drive into my stereo at work it reads it for a while and then says "no song". The USB plays ok on that stereo, what am doing wrong apart from being an old person trying to master computers? Steve :D

I *think* your external drive needs to be linked with a hardware driver to an OS (operating system, like Windows). Your stereo doesn't have that software; so it can't be linked to the hardware.

It is most likely you bought a desktop external drive. I'm not into it, but there are multimedia external drives on the market that might work on a stereo. They are more expensive though.

I have real good experiences with the ones from dane-elec; durable and (relatively) cheap.
I use my 1 tb external drive only for storing stuff and keeping my pc fast. :lol: My life is on that thing!

:p My grandpa learned how to handle a pc and started giving computer lessons to other oldies with mental dissabilities (his brain got damaged in an accident) at almost 60; so that's no excuse :wink:

Just kidding; there's so much on the market it can all be very very confusing.

Thanks for the info dagmar, I will get my 13 yo computer son to look in to it. He talked me into buying the external hard drive so I told him if he cant fix it "guess what you are getting for Christmas" Steve :D

Back