New to the forum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All...I have been making soap for 13 years now and probably have only scratched the surface. In my early days of soapmaking I benefited greatly from forums. I haven't been doing that for years! Just thought I'd try here as I'm probably going to have issues learning to use my new mold.

My most recent adventure is trying it out. It is a hdpe divider/log/slab mold that my husband made me. I know, I'm very fortunate. I've seen some videos on how to unmold but if anyone knows of any good links I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome, Soapmaker! :wave:

I hope this doesn't come off as discouraging, but I'm probably the wrong person to ask about the best way to unmold soap from HDPE molds. Mine proved to be so much of a frustrating bugger for me to unmold-even after applying all the tricks and tips I was given- that I gave up and took to lining it, even though its biggest selling point was that it didn't need to be lined. Go figure! :lol:

Here is a thread that I found that includes some tips that folks have used for unmolding HDPE molds: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46044&highlight=HDPE+unmold

IrishLass :)

soapmaker

Thanks for the welcome and it sounds as if maybe, (just maybe) I could help some who have hdpe molds. I say maybe because I've only made one batch so far. But I sprayed with food grade silicone and the outside edges have slipped off without a problem. I'll have to wait a few days before trying the rest of the dividers but my plan is to flip it over, pull off the silicone liner and then pop out the individual soaps as per this video.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqdUYdvH2uM[/ame]
The only problem I'm having now is that the silicone liner is sticking to the base of the mold. I was expecting that was the only thing that wouldn't stick. The soap didn't leak so I don't think it's stuck on by soap. Next time I guess I'll try to spray silicone on the base too.

Welcome to the forum! All my molds are silicone now. Much easier to get the soap out of them. I have some older molds - and I have so much trouble with them - soap sticks every time.

Soapmaker

Are your silicone molds free standing or inserted into a wooden mold? I'm glad for all your replies but I'm hoping someone will reply with a positive review. Surely there are people who enjoy using their hdpe molds?

Soapmaker

I just have to tell you I have successfully unmolded my 1st batch from hdpe molds. All you have to do is set your mold with soap in it (this is after sitting for a couple days) in the oven 180 degrees for a few minutes. The silicone liner loosened right up. I thought maybe it wasn't clear that the liner is only on the base. I removed it from the base, flipped the whole batch over and peeled the silicone right off. The individual bars popped out with just my fingers, didn't need a pusher. With soap removed the dividers easily disassembled for clean up. I'm happy!
Irish Lass, have you tried spraying with food grade silicone and putting in the oven for a few minutes before unmolding?

Back