Vegetable Glyerine in my Aftershave?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Hey there.

I'm working on an aftershave product. It's about 55% alcohol and the rest of the solution is distilled water and witch hazel.

I'd like to add vegetable glycerin as an humectant. My quantity size per unit is 4 ounces. Approx how much glycerine do you think I should be using?

If YOU are working on a product to sell - how much do YOU think should be in there?

If you are making something to sell and you happen to have personal tastes that run contrary to your market (e.g. you don't like clove in your blood sausage, but the rest of the world does), you'd be best to ignore your personal preferences if you want to sell anything.

I happen to prefer aftershave without humectant, but most people like it. I kind of assumed that aftershave products with glycerin probably all follow a similar percentage --- like almost all witch hazel is 14% alcohol.

The alcohol in witch hazel is included as a preservative -- 14% ABV is the lowest amount that will preserve the witch hazel solution. Alcohol-free witch hazel requires the addition of other preservatives to remain sanitary.

Glycerin in an aftershave is there for personal preference. If you're making for sale, then set the glycerin content to suit your customers. I'd make up test batches like I said earlier and give them to various testers to get feedback.

The alcohol in witch hazel is included as a preservative -- 14% ABV is the lowest amount that will preserve the witch hazel solution. Alcohol-free witch hazel requires the addition of other preservatives to remain sanitary.

Good point -- I agree that the amount of glycerin is more subjective.

Glycerin in an aftershave is there for personal preference. If you're making for sale, then set the glycerin content to suit your customers. I'd make up test batches like I said earlier and give them to various testers to get feedback.

Yes, I'll do this. Very constructive thank you.

Latest posts

Back