Salt & Oatmeal Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm gearing to make my next batch now. The next recipe I want to try to make is a salt bar with this recipe posted below and I'm thinking of using goat milk instead of water. I'd like to know if the recipe is ok cos I read that salt really reduce the lathering abilities so I'm thinking 70% of the weight of my oil.

I'd also like to make another batch with oatmeal to replace the salt (same recipe ok?) for my mom who has sensitive skin ask well. May I know how much oat meal I can add in and what are the best EO for this?

Need your expert advise on this!

Thanks!:bunny:

Salt Bar.png

For a salt bar I would leave the jojoba out and add the difference to your olive oils. I also only use 5% Castor but 10 should be okay. The SF for salt bars is generally 15-20%. High CO needs a higher SF to offset the cleansing. You can use anywhere from 30-100% weight of your oils in salt. I generally only use 30-40% but it's a personal preference.

For sensitive skin she may be able to use it. But if not making a salt bar I would make something more rounded and gentle.

Jojoba also behaves more like a wax than oil so it can do weird things.

For your non-salt bar I'd recommend an entirely different recipe. The high CO is there for a purpose in salt bars, but for standard recipes 15-20% is generally better.

You could use colloidal oatmeal at 1tbsp PPO.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'm kinda new at this, may I ask what is SF? I googled and it says superfat (and I have no idea what that means). I'd appreciate if anyone has any recipes to share to make this goat milk salt bar. I have on hand palm oil, castor, sweet almond, neem, coconut and sweet almond oil.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I'm kinda new at this, may I ask what is SF? I googled and it says superfat (and I have no idea what that means). I'd appreciate if anyone has any recipes to share to make this goat milk salt bar. I have on hand palm oil, castor, sweet almond, neem, coconut and sweet almond oil.

Yup you got it, SF is superfat. Basically, when you formulate a recipe, you want a little bit extra oil in your recipe to make sure you don't have any extra lye left in your soap when it's all cured. It's a safeguard and can make soap feel less stripping to your skin, because that bit of oil sticks around.

For a standard recipe, a 5% superfat is a good amount.

For a salt bar, you actually want a much higher superfat because coconut oil is a very skin-stripping oil. And you want lots of coconut oil in your salt bar because salt is a huge lather inhibitor and coconut oil produces lots of big fluffy lather. So more coconut oil = more lather. Make sense!?

I'd recommend checking out some soapmaking tutorials before jumping right in. Soapmaking 101 on Youtube is great.

And definitely familiarize yourself with Lye Calculators. Soapee.com is great and easy to use. They help you determine how much water and lye you need for the amount of oils you use.

A good beginner recipe (non-salt bar) with your oils would be something like:

40% Palm Oil
35% Sweet Almond Oil
20% Coconut Oil
5% Castor Oil

5% Superfat
30% Lye Concentration

Are you planning on using fresh or powered goat milk?

A good beginner salt-bar recipe would be:

100% Coconut Oil
70% Salt (70% of your oil weight)

20% Superfat
30% Lye Concentration

What do you think of this recipe? I'm sorry for asking so many questions! But the more I read up, the more complicated it seems to get because all the vids and sites sometimes tells me different things. Thanks!

Goat Milk Soap Brambleberry.jpg

Latest posts

Back