Types of Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskat22

Reaction score
I use soy wax, that much I know I want to stick with. I was just checking out NDA and the prices, I'm looking to cut down my expenses a bit, and was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the different waxes. I typically use the EcoSoya pillar/votive blend (sometimes the container) but they also have CB-135 and NatureWax. They don't really explain the difference between the types, and I was wondering if anyone here knew? The NatureWax is a fair bit cheaper (14.66/4.5kg instead of 22/4.5kg for the eco) so I was wondering if it's as simple as a case of you get what you pay for? Does anyone know?

I use Golden Foods 415 soy wax for container candles. Nature's Garden sells it for $56.99/50 lbs. (plus shipping). I've never used any other soy wax as I'm in the early stages of this adventure.:crazy:
Goldie

My first question would be what type of candle are you trying to make, pillars/votive, containers, wax melts? You have mentioned waxes that have different purposes.

The Ecosoya PB is designed for pillars and votive candles and has a higher melt-point than container wax. I think it is also designed to pull away from the mold slightly to help in releasing. I use some of this in my wax melt blend. However, there are some that also use this as a container wax.

The CB Advanced is a container wax and has a lower melt-point than the PB. It was designed to be a one-pour wax and to minimize the frosting and mashed potato tops you sometimes get with soy. Although you can get a pretty candle fairly easily, I found it difficult to get a good HT. But, could have been the wicks I was using at the time. I'm not familiar with CB-135. I don't thinks it's the same as the CB Xcel (sold elsewhere) which I haven't tried either.

I know a lot of Chandlers on Craftserver have had excellent results with the C3. It's not as easy to use as the Ecosoya but does produce a beautiful container candle. There is a specific Vegetable Wax section on Craftserver that you can search. There is a lot of information on the different waxes and some very knowledgeable people. Everyone has their favorite wax. And, what works for one person may not work for another using the exact same wax/wick/fo combo. It does require a lot of testing. I ended up using GB464, that worked best for me.

Are you in the states? Can you use other vendors? Candle Science has good prices on wax. And, they carry the Ecosoya and Golden Foods. Don't remember if they ship to Canada/International. There is also The Candlemakers Store. They offer waxes in one pound bags so you can test before buying a 10lb bag. They do ship to Canada/Internationally.

Good luck and have fun with your testing! - J

eta: Forgot to mention, you can use a pillar wax as a container wax but I would not recommend using a container wax for pillars or votives. The wax is just too soft and I think would have blow-outs.

PMM, I'm in Canada, I could use another supplier in Canada, but NDA's warehouse isn't that far from me, so I was hoping to go pick up rather than pay for shipping.

I'm mostly wanting to do votives, but some containers as well, sorry I didn't specify! I guess it didn't really occur to me, but that would put container wax out of the running *duh* I've been using the Ecosoya Pillar/votive blend but really was just wondering if this cheaper type of wax would be more economical for me.

That is a big savings not having to pay for shipping on wax. :) Shipping on containers can be bad enough. Like Hazel suggested, take a wander over to Craftserver. It's a very active board for candles. I've only ever made a few palm pillars so not sure what is the best pillar wax. But, you will be able to find a lot of info on pillars and votives, wicks to use, whether to use wick pins, tape, sealing clay, unmolding tips, etc.

Back