First attempt at rainbow soap (cp), problematic but pretty

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapEh

Reaction score
1509474636281.jpg

*Blushing furiously*

Guys! Come on, you're too kind. Seriously, the yellow is a train wreck. I mean, the soap feels smooth where it was cut, but you can see that it was all funky and textury (I made up a word there) going in -- I basically forced soap-on-a-stick to become soap-in-my-mold through sheer will.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how this one mellows with age.

Beautiful!! What did you use for your purple and blue? Thanks to your two threads I'll be stocking up on new colors. And now I must try to make a rainbow soap :)

Rainbow soaps are always a good seller, and I don't think people really care if the lines are straight or not. Or at least my customers don't seem to care. LOL (Because I couldn't get a straight line if someone said they'd give me a million dollars! LOL)
I like the yellow. To me it just looks like glycerin rivers, and the average person isn't going to know that's NOT what it's supposed to look like, so there's that.

You are all seriously too nice :)

The purple and blue ... erm... the purple is a mica, straight out of the bag, and it's fairly true to colour; it's about a shade lighter than what it looks like as a mica which makes sense, considering soap is white(ish). I don't have a clue what the name is and I'm not near it atm, but it's a pretty standard deep purple mica.

The blue is another story. I can't give a good answer there. It's a pre-mixed shade that I made up out of about six different blues, and then I threw in a lot of blue pigment from a neon sampler pack. It's probably 50/50 mica mix/pigment.

Next rainbow I think I'm going to straight up colour with neons to see how that turns out -- neons are fun! I'd also love to do a rainbow soap that's very muted pastels. Rainbows are beautiful!

UPDATE on the soap itself --> this morning it's looking a bit different, more... cohesive, if that makes sense. It looks a bit more translucent, like a fully gelled soap, so I think the gooey oily stuff has resorbed and this might turn into an okay soap. I'm going to try to post an updated picture later, maybe a before/after if there's a significant difference.

Wow!

*hatches plan* Okay... I'ma need micas, TD, this recipe, ... now... where'd I leave my magic wand, that deck of prayer cards, and my lucky rabbit's foot?

Back