Preservative s!?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stick to solid lotion bars or body butters. Once you add water, you need a preservative.

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

There is no natural preservative that prevents bacterial growth. There are things you can use to slow rancidity, but that is totally different than bacteria. So if you are adding water to a product you must use an actual preservative like germall plus (can't think of other names at the moment). Or the product needs to be kept refrigerated

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Or the product needs to be kept refrigerated

;-) That way you won't know what's going on until it's too late. Or you'd have to make tiny batches and use it for a max of 2-3 days. But with proper sanitizing and the time it takes, it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I would not buy unpreserved body butters. Even though they are anhydrous to start with, moisture is expected to be introduced.

At this time, there is no "natural" broad spectrum preservative.
Since the term natural hasn't been defined, it is completely empty and natural is by no means equal to safe.
Without proper preservation, you'll have a lot more natural things growing in there than you bargained for.
Contaminated products can easily lead to severe skin and eye infections.

This blog is a great place to start out:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.nl/

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.nl/2013/09/weekend-wonderings-when-should-you-use.html

Last edited:
Ok ewww that would not be good then!!!! Any recommendations of what u would u then? I'm starting off my business and I'm trying to stay away from all that junk .... if iwere to refrigerate them how long would the life spand be?

sugar & oats

Ok I'm going to read the websites a little better after I drop my son at school thanks for the help!

sugar & oats

There are many preservatives available but you need to read what the different preservative can be used for in what applications. Regrigerated lotion you might get 2-3 days out of. I wouldn't risk it though.

Ouch that's nothing:( that stinks if u font mind me aski ng what do u use?

sugar & oats

Thank you dagmar..... well fot me im not saying their bad I mean they completely help amazingly to preserve lotions and keep the shelf life at its max .... my only thing is applying chemicals to our skin our biggest organ on our body you know..... but if u do recommend ones what would you put on your skin or even your baby? Should I just stick to whippwd butters or even oils ? Thx ;)

sugar & oats

while there are not currently any 'natural' preservatives, there are safe and non-irritating ones and even ones that are nature-derived. theres an excellent website http://personalcaretruth.com/ which discusses the properties and safety of various cosmetic ingredients. Some good safe preservatives are optiphen, germall, geogard, and some combinations of things like potassium sorbate and benzyl alcohol. I am very sensitive to a lot of things but I have no problems with any of these, and they are easy to find. As a matter of fact, the potassium sorbate is found in some grocery stores, or any wine-making supply, and the other things are available on amazon or places like makingcosmetics or similar sites. :)

;-) That way you won't know what's going on until it's too late. Or you'd have to make tiny batches and use it for a max of 2-3 days. But with proper sanitizing and the time it takes, it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I would not buy unpreserved body butters. Even though they are anhydrous to start with, moisture is expected to be introduced.

I have a little jar of a no-water body butter at my desk right now. The first jar I bought from them is fine. But this jar I bought has black stuff on the top. So I'm thinking you may be right - even the non-water ones may need something. This has "organic green tea infusion" so I wonder if that's the culprit. The other ingredients are hempseed oil, beeswax, coconut oil and lavender oil.

It still smells good, so I've just kept on using it. But I won't be buying another jar from them.

I use germall plus for lotions and liquipar optima for solid products like shampoo and conditioner bars.

Nothing wrong with an effective, broad spectrum preservative manufactured in a lab.

Back