Cure time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanieB

Reaction score
I have discovered that I am a very impatient person. Is there a way to speed up cure time? I have a hard time waiting the first 24 hours after molding!

There really isn't a way to speed up curing. There has been discussions in the past and the general consensus is an oven, dehumidifier, dehydrator and fans don't work.

However, soap is safe to use within a short time after making it. It just needs to be fully saponified but it won't be at its best. The curing time allows for excess water to evaporate, the soap to become milder and the lather to improve. Just keep in mind it will be better in a few weeks if you have to try a bar. BTW, I understand your impatience - I've been there. :wink:

This is just a suggestion - slice a little off instead of using a bar. Sometimes I don't clean up right away. I put the bowl and utensils in a bucket with a snap on lid. After saponification, I scrape out the remainder and put it into a container. I use the scraps to test if I'm impatient to find out how the recipe turned out. If I'm not impatient, I save the scraps, put them in an organza bag with other scraps and use it in the shower.

Ditto what Hazel said. There's just no way to rush cure if you ask me either. :lol: While it's true you can definitely hasten saponification to where the soap reaches tongue neutrality quicker and becomes safe to use, cure is a whole 'nuther ball of wax in my experience. Word to the wise: just because a soap has reached the place where it is safe to use, it does not necessarily mean it has matured to the the best it can be yet.

As long as your soap is tongue-neutral, go ahead and try it out. But save some bars for later- about 4 weeks or more down the road- and take note of the difference. If you're anything like me and many other soapers, you'll be amazed at the difference.

IrishLass :)

Thanks girls..I did slice off a bit to try..and so far it's good. I'll have to learn to be patient. Not something I'm good at apparently :D

it is funny but this is something that i see almost in every soap forum ...... how to shorten cure time / and as far as i see patience is the only remedy , unless you re-batching. i "LOVE" waiting , nothing beats that joy :)

Latest posts

Back