high altitude

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirrdee

Reaction score
Does high altitude affect soap making? I live at 8300 ft and I wondered if there is any difference in the final product? Just curious.

I am at 5000ft and my soap turns out great. I don't cook, but what is it that you change in recipes to accommodate for altitude? More flour in baking, lower temp? Soap is very forgiving, so I can't seen any changes would be needed.

No, just don't drop it, a bar of soap falling 8300 ft can be quite painful for whoever is below :p

hahahaha...funny! I cant bake worth a darn at this altitude but my soap comes out fine. We're going to be moving to a lower elevation so I wondered if my soap will get difficult...lol

I doubt you will notice any difference in CP, but you may find a very slight difference in HP cooking time. Just a guess, though, since (for example) water reaches a boiling point below 212 at your altitude.

I live at 7200 ft and will be interested in hearing your experiences once you arrive. Good luck on the move.

dirrdee said:
We're going to be moving to a lower elevation so I wondered if my soap will get difficult...lol

Be careful..if there is air trapped in your soap, the bars could implode! When I was a kid, growing up on the top floor of the Sears Building in Chicago, it was a favorite trick of ours: make soap, let it cure, then throw it out the window and watch it shrink up and go bang. We could never bring groceries directly to the apartment, we had to bring them up 10 floors at a time and let them acclimate. We once had a substitute UPS driver deliver us a crate of oranges, direct from the ground floor. What a mess. **** near killed us. We also used to shoot at the satellites with slingshots, but that's another story....when you move, just bring your soap down 100' at a time, let it rest a week, and do it again and again until you are there, you'll be OK.

Is it April 1st yet?

hahahahaha...now my question wasnt THAT stupid was it? Wait, dont answer that!

Back