Sunflower OIl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogreen

Reaction score
I would like to try sunflower oil in soap at about 10%. I know this type of oil goes rancid easily. Do you think I would be ok using such a small percentage?

I use the high oleic sf at 6.5% in a few recipes with no problems...I've always been afraid to go as high as 10% though. So, I'm interested in what responses you'll get from the more experienced soapers.

While you can go from 3-25% in soap, I actually like about 10% in mine. Adding other oils and some vitamin E oil will help to extend its life, and give you the nice benefits of this oil. So have fun soaping with sunflower oil!

Thank you for your replies. What other oils will help to extend the shelf life of sunflower, other than rosemary & vit. E?

Thank you for your replies. What other oils will help to extend the shelf life of sunflower, other than rosemary & vit. E?

wheat germ is the best, as it has the highest amount of natural vitamin E, so even adding few tsp is helpful, but just your regular oils will do the trick as long as you dont use a ton of shorter shelf life ones together, and that is seldom the case, so usually it is no worries.

i like to infuse herbs and natural colorants, and have a windowsill full of large baby food jars infusing in the sun. (alkanet, woad, annatto, calendula, black eyed susan, paprika, etc.) i often use sunflower (high oleic) instead of olive oil for this. it keeps the percentage down, and what i have to throw away (the oily plant material) is cheaper than throwing away good olive oil. when the infusions are the color i want i strain off the good stuff and keep the jars in a dark cupboard.

paillo said:
i like to infuse herbs and natural colorants, and have a windowsill full of large baby food jars infusing in the sun. (alkanet, woad, annatto, calendula, black eyed susan, paprika, etc.) i often use sunflower (high oleic) instead of olive oil for this. it keeps the percentage down, and what i have to throw away (the oily plant material) is cheaper than throwing away good olive oil. when the infusions are the color i want i strain off the good stuff and keep the jars in a dark cupboard.

Yes, I do this, too.

Also, I regularly use high oleic SO at 15% with no issues.

Latest posts

Back