Extra virgin olive oil VS golden/processed olive oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun_4_me_now

Reaction score
Does anyone know what may be the downside to using virgin oil?

Same question for Red Palm oil, or any clean cold pressed oil.

I have read (via google) that the lower grades of olive oil are considered better for soapmaking, but have been unable to find any reason why.

The main reason I am making soap is to limit the level of contamination in the soap. Everything that I/we use on our skin ends up in our blood to some degree, so I prefer to use ingredients I could have eaten. Aside from the lye, everything I have used is food grade. It is all food!

As my first soap project, I was able to make an olive bar that is 100% olive with 5% sweet almond SF, has a natural green color, and makes my skin so very soft, happy and clean that you would almost think it belonged to a baby! My skin seems to kinda glow now.

One brand that I really liked was using things like toxic metal oxides for color. Their Chromium Hydroxide/ Umber Iron Oxide "olive bar" was only SF'd with olive as a token !!! I don't need that on my skin.

There's no real downside. I use Grade A because it's less expensive, provides the same advantages (and soaps the same) as any other olive oil, and is probably still not hexane-extracted. However, laws in the US on that are obscure at best.

Pomace sometimes has bits of olive left that have to be strained, depending on the quality, and usually was hexane-extracted.

One sidenote: Chromium (III) oxide isn't absorbed through the skin, is only toxic at 1500 nanograms/kilogram or more, and is in most daily multivitamins in small amounts--you require some. Chromium (IV) is the nasty one, and not the one we use, although IV can be converted to III in the body so it can be gotten rid of. III is not converted to IV.

Iron oxide is non-toxic, not skin absorbed, and required in fairly large amounts in your diet. I throw the stuff around on the lawn and gardens with great abandon as it's required there, too.

Latest posts

Back