Well starting over

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennikate

Reaction score
Today I noticed in my first batch of soap I made DOS. It doesn't smell there were only 2 3 spots but this means soap gone rancid correct? Now my question is could I still use it say for cleaning purposes or should I stick to my original thought and chuck it? TIA see ya'll in a couple hours. :cry:

are you sure its dos? post a pic, sometimes fos can clump causing spots.
what oils did you use?

Honor i wish I could blame FO/EO none in this batch no colorants either. It was my very first batch and didn't want to confuse myself more than I had to. Thanks for the suggestion I could try triming out due to small and very few.

what oils did you use? do you want some recipes?maybe try hp, or do you like cp?

I like cp I think a huge amount of the problem has been fixed. My scale REALLY sucked eggs. My dad got me a new one for my B day so gonna try again now that I can really do acurate measerments. I am using OO crisco tallow cocoa butter. I also think I need to switch to distilled water my well water ful of stuff. I shall see how it goes. Thanks for all the imput. New job is keeping me away somewhat.

i haven't been making soap long enough to know whether my soap will have DOS, but i was under the impression that DOS only affected 100% OO soap. now you've got me worried because all my soaps have OO in them and i've made so much and dread the thought that they may all potentially end up with DOS.

that's not the case with DOS. Some oils are more prone to get rancid and higher levels of those can cause DOS. The most notorious one is canola oil.
In my experience, olive oil isn't that bad. Could be that because I'm in Europe the olive oil is fresher?

so....if i were to make a soap containing a higer proportion of CO and PO would that be less likely to succumb to being affected by DOS?

i think so, ive never had it, although ive never made a soap with really high oo, i love co, oo, palm, castor, its my fav recipe 9oz of each 3 of castor.

Latest posts

Back