~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Sunflower Oil

Old 10-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #11
mommycarlson
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 454 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
I've made soap with 70% HO sunflower and 30% avocado. Poured in individual molds. It was nicely hard and ready to unmold the next day. I recommend using a higher lye concentration for any high oleic recipe. I used 40% lye concentration for this batch.
Thank you DeeAnna! If I use HO oil in place of my olive oil at 15%, should I change my normal 33% lye concentration to 40%?

Old 10-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #12
penelopejane

Liked 1845 Times on 1079 Posts
Likes Given: 2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycarlson View Post
Thank you DeeAnna! If I use HO oil in place of my olive oil at 15%, should I change my normal 33% lye concentration to 40%?
I think it's an individual thing. I am a really slow soaper. I like to have all the time in the world to add colour, change my mind, do swirls or layers so I don't go over 31% lye concentration even on 100% OO recipes.

But there are many people who have been soaping for years or who are oganised or who don't do tricky soaps who successfully use a higher lye concentration.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #13
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11222 Times on 5082 Posts
Likes Given: 5019

MommyCarlson-- If you make your olive oil soap with 33% lye concentration, then a similar recipe with HO sunflower should be fine at 33%. There's no overwhelming reason to do 40% unless you just want to try it. Like PenelopeJane said, there's no one right way to do this.

I realize now I was thinking more of the "full water" soapers who use 28% lye concentration when I wrote my earlier post. That's on the low side for a high oleic soap, IMO. I'm not saying you can't make the soap with 28% lye, but it might take an unusually long time to trace and it might stay pretty soft in the mold for some days.

Going from a "full water" recipe at 28% to your 33% concentration -- well, that's a big change when talking about lye concentration. You'll be fine!

Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
mommycarlson
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you both! Still looking for a small quantity of HO sunflower or safflower to try, don't want to buy a big container until I give it a whirl. I saw that Brewer George said Walmart has LouAna brand that is HO so I'll check that out. Appreciate your help!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11222 Times on 5082 Posts
Likes Given: 5019

You're in central-ish Iowa, right? Try Walmart or HyVee or any other larger grocery store. The Cedar Rapids HyVee has a "whole foods" section, so I imagine the other large city HyVees do likewise.

If you can't find sun or saff in the regular baking aisle, look in the "whole foods" area. Spectrum is a company that distributes cooking oils and I've seen HO sun and saff by Spectrum, but they're usually non-GMO or organic so aren't always in the regular aisles.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
mommycarlson
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
You're in central-ish Iowa, right? Try Walmart or HyVee or any other larger grocery store. The Cedar Rapids HyVee has a "whole foods" section, so I imagine the other large city HyVees do likewise.

If you can't find sun or saff in the regular baking aisle, look in the "whole foods" area. Spectrum is a company that distributes cooking oils and I've seen HO sun and saff by Spectrum, but they're usually non-GMO or organic so aren't always in the regular aisles.
I'm on the border of Iowa and Illinois, East Central. We do have Hy Vee, don't typically shop there as they are so expensive. A couple years ago I actually found HO Sunflower oil at Aldi! I'll check Hy Vee next, thank you so much for your help

DeeAnna Likes This