Anyone use a kerosene heater?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
The temperature today is -3, we're expecting snow and hurricane force winds. Power outages are expected. The last time this happened, I lost power for 5 days. Luckily, that was in October, and temps were only in the 20s at night, so it was awfully cold, but we (me and the two cats) survived. If we lose power today, I envision burst pipes and a stay at a friend's house.

So this morning, I put in an order for pick up later today at Lowes, for a kerosene heater. I did a lot of reading, and most people seem to say that the kerosene smell occurs when you light the heater and turn it off, and advise to do this outdoors or in the garage, if possible. I have asthma, so I'm a little leery of the fumes, but my girlfriend just had pipes burst in her house, and there's $10,000 worth of damage!!! This heater is supposed to be able to heat 1000 square feet, and that's my whole house, so it would be a lifesaver, if what they say is true, and the fumes are negligible.

I was just wondering if any of you use kerosene heaters and what you think of them. Not too stinky? Worth the money?

We used a kerosene heater fairly frequently when I was growing up. They are effective. I can't remember being too put off by the smell, but maybe I just got used to it after a while. It was also in the living room which was the central hang out area of our house. I think in your situation, it's a pretty good choice. I hope you don't lose power. And I would definitely leave a drip going in my faucets if I were in your expected situation. Stay warm!

I occasionally use a kerosene heater in my workshop. Yes, it will smell some when you light it and again when you put it out. Please make sure to read all the directions a few times before filling it up and using it. Proper adjustment of the wick is important. Be careful when filling it not to spill kerosene. It really is best to fill it outdoors, because no matter how careful you are, spills can always happen.
As with any un-vented heater, you need to make sure that you have proper ventilation while using it, you don't want carbon monoxide poisoning. I have a carbon monoxide detector in my shop just to be on the safe side, and recommend you do too.
I hope you don't have power outages! Been there and done that, no fun at all.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info. I got a call from Lowe's that it's ready to be picked up. I'll stop by on my way to work today, and hopefully when I get home, I won't need to use it, but it's good to know that it's there just in case. Brrrrrrrrr......it's cold!!!!!!!

We're supposed to get the brunt of that storm (I'm 10 miles inland, south of Boston). At least it's going to stay cold, so the snow won't be heavy, my fingers are crossed - in this temperature if we lose power we're screwed.

We're supposed to get the brunt of that storm (I'm 10 miles inland, south of Boston). At least it's going to stay cold, so the snow won't be heavy, my fingers are crossed - in this temperature if we lose power we're screwed.

Oh reinbeau, you've really had a rough winter, to say the least. I never remember losing power as often as we do lately. It's very scary when it's winter, and the outage lasts for days. The last time it got down into the 40s in my house, but that was October. You couldn't buy batteries anywhere, or generators. They sold out fast! I made a little "stove" with an empty tomato can and some sterno, so at least I could heat up some soup, and have coffee. Since then, I bought a little hand-crank radio and flashlight combo, so even if I run out of candles, I have some light and connection to the outside world. But I've been at a loss as to what to do for heat. Generators aren't cheap, and they're more involved to use, so I'm hoping the kerosene heater will do the trick. Would that be an option for you? I was scared that they'd be all out of them at Lowe's, but luckily they have them, and there's one with my name on it at the Customer Service desk, waiting for me. I'll be thinking of you, and hoping this miserable cold and snowy weather will be over before long. Good luck!!!

Stay warm and stay safe! I grew up in the Midwest, so I commiserrate with everyone. I now live in the desert, and while I miss the beauty of the snow, I don't ever want to use the phrase " I have to dig out" again. When we moved here, our house was on the market. We got a call saying "the entire back of your house is a sheet of ice." Our pipes froze, burst, and...you know the rest of that story. I second lizard1232 suggestion to leave a drip going. Most importantly, stay safe

Leave a drip going, and leave the cabinet doors all open to allow heat to get to the pipes. We used kerosene when I was small, and although you can smell it when you light it and put it out, it is not bad.

All you folks in the path of this storm have my thoughts and prayers for safety and no damages.

I was thinking and praying for all of you in that part of the country last night when I saw the forecast on the news. I'll continue to pray for your health & safety during this angry storm! :angel:

Well, as of right now, it sounds like they're downgrading it for around here. I think it is going to take a more northerly path, which puts Downeast Maine in the bull's eye. We'll see. It is ever so slightly snowing out there right now, just started......

Hopefully you won't need to use it. But I wanted to add a warning. In a nearby town a man tried to move his outside to turn it off, spilled the kerosene out of it while it was lit, and ended up with quite a fire. So---- if you do have to use it, just put up with those fumes when turning it on and off. DON'T try to move it when lit. I'm sure you have that common sense, but a warning never hurts.

Wow. Well, they were a bit off the mark about the snowfall around here. It's a white out out there, over a foot so far, and I'm starting to not be able to see out of my windows the drifts are so high out there. At least the winds don't seem quite as bad as they thought they'd be....

I added a new thread with blizzard pictures

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and warnings! I picked up the heater on my way to work yesterday, and stayed up til 2am after I got home last night, putting it together. Luckily, I didn't have to use it....yet. We've had more snow, but it's hard to tell how much, because it's all blowing around so much. I don't think it's even any use to snowblow the driveway, because it's just going to blow back, or wherever it wants. We're expecting crazy wind through tonight, with projected wind chills of -35. I'm dreaming of next winter, when I'll be retired, and won't have to go out in this stuff. Reinbeau, I feel for you......you guys really got stomped on this year. Just think how much sweeter Spring will be, when it finally gets here! Be warm, be safe. Hang on!!!

-2 in Fort Wayne today, so I'm commiserating with you re the wind and cold. Keeping you folks in my prayers. I can't even imagine what you are dealing with re the snow amounts. Stay warm and safe.

An update on the heater. Today is my first day off since I got it, and I thought I'd give it a spin. It's 10 degrees outside, but my house is toasty warm. This thing throws some serious heat! At 23,000 BTUs, it says it will heat 1000 square feet, and that's my entire house, and I must say, they're right. I was worried about the smell when I lit it in the garage. There was some odor, but not as much as I expected. And now that it's indoors, there is no smell at all. The cats are sitting nearby, loving the warmth it throws. They definitely do not enjoy how cool I keep the house in winter. There is a safety grill surrounding the heater, and on the top. I'm sure if the power went out, I could heat water to wash, and also heat up some soup on the top of this thing. It is a tremendous weight off my mind, knowing that if the power were to fail, I could still keep the house warm. I have plenty of candles and flashlights for light, but when the weather is as extreme as it's been lately, heat has definitely been a concern. Thanks to all of you for your advice and input!

Back