Lard, okay y'all have convinced me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
After months of recipes with just vegetable oils and recently lanolin, I'm still not getting that special conditioning feel to my soap base. Silk and a small amount of clay helped; but not exactly what I'm looking for. So it's time to try lard. Historically, I've stayed away from animal fats - not a vegan thing; just the thought of washing my face with bacon grease turned me off.... Well no more! If it makes my soap better than I'm all for it:p Wish me luck. (I hope I love it - just purchased 50# from SC).

That's my soapy job for today - Will post for comments, assistance later today

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Will do 2 batches one with water, one with my coco milk. I notice such a big difference with the coco that it's become my base liquid in all of my soap. Off to soaping!

Okay, 2 batches done. 1 with water, the other with my coco milk/coco water sub. My basement is pretty cool so I'm living dangerously. Put coco milk/water in the oven for CPOP. The colors came out so nice I want it to gel. Watching like a hawk though. Hopefully hard enough to unmold tomorrow.

(Last night) Couldn't stand it - I unmolded to soon. Started to overheat (CPOP) with small cracks at 90 minutes so I had to put in the freezer. Of course I had to know if it gelled so I cut it - very badly at that. No zap today... or still residual pain meds from my root canal blocking sensation..... Used DeeAnna's hot water rinse this morning- more to smootherize than anything else but of course I had to try it. Wonderful bubbles already and a wonderful glide. Can't wait until it cures. This was the coco milk/water soap. Now I can unmold the water version for comparison later.
It's official I LOVE LARD!!

I love animal fats as well. Some day you will have to get enough tallow for a batch or two and have that go head to head with lard. Lard is creamier and tallow a bit more bubbly, but now that you will end up LOVING washing your face with fat, you can experiment away! And boy, you sure jumped in- 50# at first go!!!

Newbie, I was already placing an order with SC and the lard was a great price. I had a lot of faith though; my soaping family here wouldn't steer me wrong! Once I perfect a base lard recipe, then it will be time for tallow.

I don't eat red meat so it was only a natural thing for me to stay away from them all these years. But it is this soap forum, indeed, that convinced me greatly to try using lard in soap. I've made two batches of lard soap so far, I really like how the lard soap feels on my body!

Total Lard Convert

My lard soap is 30 days old and I was just busting to try it. I was good, didn't even try the HP version until now.

My recipe includes lanolin so more creamy than bubbly; I sub 50/50 coco water/coco milk so plenty of conditioning. A strong dense lather that I was reluctant to rinse off!

My first solid base recipe! Now time testing continues, but I'm really happy!:grin:

Back