Preservative in Body

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Larios

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why most body butters don't contain preservatives I understand some won't have water but that doesn't mean it won't grow moldy stuff right? If I wanted to add preservative to body butters would the ratio be the same as adding it to lotions? Also can someone share a body butter recipe with preservative? What kind do you recommend?

If it doesn't contain water or come in contact with water it will not mold. Mold needs water to grow. No water, no mold. When a product is ONLY oils the only thing you need to worry about is rancidness. If you are using very stable oils (like butters) you don't need a preservative.

That said you should add a preservative to anything that might come in contact with water in the container, such as sugar scrubs.

I use preservative as I don't know what kind of gubby hands may enter the container on my whipped butters. I prefer to be on the safe side.

^^^
this

i'm using liquid germall plus for all my bath and body products.

Ditto....Liquid Germall Plus.

Liquid Germall Plus is water based and will do nothing to protect your body butters. You need to be using a stronger preservative such as Germaben II which does contain parabens as they are the only thing that will work on oil only products (non-aqueous)....

rosemary oleoresin (so is vitamin E) is not a preservative, it is an anti oxidant to help prevent/prolong the rancidity of the oils used in the product. especially good when you are using oils with short shelf like, like grapeseed, sunflower, soybean, hemp, etc

and yes, to what Lindy said, germall plus will work on just about everything except anhydrous products.

other options for anhydrous products are optiphen (which i think is paraben free) and phenonip (has parabens).

Last edited:
Back