Mango Lotion Bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I hope I'm asking this in the right place..

I'm wanting to make a lotion bar for myself and have never sonera it before. I read that a good starting point is 1/3 butters 1/3 soft oil 1/3 beeswax. With that in mind, I was thinking 1/3 mango butter 1/3 sweet almond oil 1/3 beeswax. But I also have cocoa butter and sunflower oil to play with. Which would be best?

I chose mango because I read that its less greasy and more quickly absorbed. Would sao or sunflower oil be less greasy?

I'm wanting to make a lotion bar because I've been washing my hands so much recently that my knuckles are starting to split because the skin is so dry.

Thank you in advance!

You can certainly give it a try. Make a small batch that way if you don't like it you can rebatch it. I generally use less than 1/3 beeswax as I like my lotion bars a bit softer. Sunflower works nicely though I would only use a small amount. Good luck to you! I love lotion bars.

Thank you. I'm going to try it in a few minutes. If I add a french fanilla FO will it discolor like it does soaps?

So I tried it with 33% mango, 33% beeswax, 17% sunflower oil, and 17% sweet almond oil and I thought it was too hard. So I went back and adjusted it to 35% mango, 28% beeswax, 18% sunflower oil, and 18% sweet almond oil and like it much better. I fragranced it with a French Vanilla FO and my whole house smells great!

Good results with this Lotion Bar:
Mango Butter 40%
FCO (Fractionated Coconut Oil) 30%
Bee's Wax 30%
Little bit softer for winter use

If I want to add 10% Jojobo oil which oil do I reduce?
Is this Thread Hijacking?

So I tried it with 33% mango, 33% beeswax, 17% sunflower oil, and 17% sweet almond oil and I thought it was too hard. So I went back and adjusted it to 35% mango, 28% beeswax, 18% sunflower oil, and 18% sweet almond oil and like it much better. I fragranced it with a French Vanilla FO and my whole house smells great!

It is the mango butter that makes it a harder bar, correct??

I was wondering if I skipped the sweet almond oil and used grapeseed oil and avocado oil instead, it still would be a hard lotion bar??

33% mango, 33% beeswax, 17% grapeseed oil, 17 % avocado oil with 1% Vitamin E.

Does this sound like a good recipe??

You can certainly give it a try. Make a small batch that way if you don't like it you can rebatch it. I generally use less than 1/3 beeswax as I like my lotion bars a bit softer. Sunflower works nicely though I would only use a small amount. Good luck to you! I love lotion bars.

Shunt, I made a 3 bar lotion bars and while it is a little soft for AZ, I really like them. I was surprised actually. lol

Now I am trying to tweak my recipe for a little harder bar. Hopefully my mango butter will get here today. :lol:

Shunt, I made a 3 bar lotion bars and while it is a little soft for AZ, I really like them. I was surprised actually. lol

Now I am trying to tweak my recipe for a little harder bar. Hopefully my mango butter will get here today. :lol:

That's awesome. I love my lotion bars. You'll find just the right mix for you. It's a bit hotter there in AZ than in Michigan so a little tweaking and you'll be set. I have some mango and need to make some lotion bars maybe I'll get it a try. I usually use Cocoa and Shea. Maybe this weekend.

Congratulations!!!

That's awesome. I love my lotion bars. You'll find just the right mix for you. It's a bit hotter there in AZ than in Michigan so a little tweaking and you'll be set. I have some mango and need to make some lotion bars maybe I'll get it a try. I usually use Cocoa and Shea. Maybe this weekend.

Congratulations!!!

Give it a try and let us know how they turned out! :thumbup:

Congratulations!!!

Shunt,

I made the mango butter, avocado oil with Vit E and a little cornstarch and an FO. Less greasy and absorbs a lot faster on the skin. I am trying it on 2 of my co-workers. lol

Congratulations!!!

Tried the mango and avocado lotion bar recipe with 1/4th tsp of Vit E and 1/8th tsp of cornstarch.

Not bad. Less greasy and I think a tad harder than the first one with shea butter.
Maybe I will look for some cocoa butter today and try a cocoa butter, mango bar tomorrow.

It is the mango butter that makes it a harder bar, correct??

I was wondering if I skipped the sweet almond oil and used grapeseed oil and avocado oil instead, it still would be a hard lotion bar??

33% mango, 33% beeswax, 17% grapeseed oil, 17 % avocado oil with 1% Vitamin E.

Does this sound like a good recipe??

Hi kmarvel. I just saw this, but it sounds like a lovely lotion bar. I found the 1/3 beeswax made it too..draggy.. for my tastes, so I cut it down to 1/4 I believe.

Back