Silicone Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't have to spray silicone molds to get a good release. I have used food grade silicone spray for other molds. Cooking spray is made from vegetable oil which will not prevent sticking. Some people coat their molds with mineral oil and I have used petroleum jelly to coat my sticky molds.

Gosh, I didn't see this was from the candle forum, I clicked on the "new posts" button. I thought the OP was talking about soap molds. I still don't think you will need to coat silicone with anything.

Silicone molds release fine for candlemaking with nothing sprayed to help them. Just let them set up long enough that when you are trying to unmold them they don't dent. (same holds true for soap)

After a while they do get a white film in them which makes them (mine at least) difficult to get the soap out of. I rub the tiniest amount of olive oil in them with my fingers and then gently wipe out with a papertowel. Voila no more sticking.

Back