The Truth about making "Real" Gel Candle's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemicalguy

Reaction score
Hi SMF! Thank You for having me. I wanted to talk about gel candles

Most people when wanting to make gel candles go to there supplier and purchase some sort of gel "base" in order to remelt and make there own gel candle's. Depending on your ability to find surplus chemicals you may be able to do ALLOT more with your money.

There are a series of powdered polymer products called "Kraton polymers". These products will be sold under trade names such as "Kraton 1650"

Kraton 1650 is a plastic rubber like polymer that is in a powder form. A person that wants to make proffesional series Gel candles at home can take Kraton 1650 powder and mix a small amount with hot mineral oil, melting in this Polymer powder. Stir well , let cool, and bam! You have Pro series Gel candles at a fraction of the cost of "Pre Gelled Base".

1 gallon of Mineral oil and a few hundred grams of this polymer can make approx 15 pounds of Gel Candle Base. It is absolutely crystal clear and can easily be colored and scented with any of your normal ingredients.

This is the exact same product that is being sold as "Gel Candle Base"

I hope this helps those that are interested. I am a chemical wholesaler. I often have the Kraton polymer available. (although I have very little right now)

Be careful Kraton polymers can be an expensive item if purchased "retail".

Too much polymer will cause black smoke so just use a little bit, just enough to firm the candle gel so as not to sag. Its just like making Jello with Gelatin
Anyway, I sure appreciate the new membership.

Thanks SMF!

Neil
Underground Gadgets .com

Last edited:
How would one know if the end result was light, medium, or low density? And therefore how would one know what amount of fragrance to use?

Neil, why don't you post a recipe for a small batch along with specific instructions on the candle forum? I am sure many of us who are chemically challanged would be glad of some recipes.

I second lsg's suggestion! I go through so much gel candle base in the summer and I'm trying to transition into being premade base free. Being able to create my own base would be so great.

Back