Mushrooming

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahutchins9

Reaction score
I finally made my first container candle ( YAY ) I conducted my burn test this morning and after 2 hours my wax had melted the entire diameter of the candle and was about 1/2" deep. Everything sems to be going like it should except my wick is mushrooming. Is it supposed to do this? I am using GB 464 with the mason jar from RE/AH along with wick 51-32-18C also from RE/AH

How big was your container in oz and diameter?
zinc wicks are known to mushroom, but not so much cotton wicks unless it is too big...Also, was this candle scented or unscented?

8 oz. height: 3.5"; diameter 2 5/8". Used cotton core pretabbed wick 6" 6mm neck with 20 m tab for 2 1/2- 2 3/4" diameter containers. Scented with RE/AH Pound Cake fragrance at 8%

I used 464 for a long time and had great success with eco wicks. No mushrooming.

Zincs have their pros and cons. They always gave my candles a great scent throw. Unfortunately they are prone to mushrooming. You can try wicking down but I believe the 51z is the right size for your jar. If you use zincs you have to trim your wicks frequently or learn to embrace the mushroom.

Latest posts

Back