beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. What are you making and is your goal for using sodium lactate or beeswax? You're posting this in the General Chat forum so I have no idea what you're making or why you're using either ingredient.

Pollya, we need to know what you trying to make, it is soap making forum, much more than soap ;) welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum Pollya :)
Is this intended to make soaps harder and easier to unmold? I haven't used either so I'm not much help here, but it would help others to know if it's CP, HP, what kind of molds you are using, do you gel, and any other tidbits you can think of. If you post a recipe we could help tweak it so you don't need either (might just need to lower the amount of water for example).

Thanks for the help! Yes, it is for CP in a silicone mold. I wanted to use beeswax in place of the sodium lactate for hardness and easier mold removal. Just wondered if they were interchangeable.

No, they really aren't interchangeable. sodium lactate is a additive, it has no correlation to the amount of lye used while beeswax has to be added as part of the oils to be saponified.
Beeswax also will alter the feel and lather of a soap while SL really doesn't. Another thing that helps harden soap is a little salt. Use 1 tsp per pound of oils used in a recipe. Dissolve it in your water before adding the lye.

I also like beeswax and it will make a difference even at 3%.

Beeswax can be a little tricky to use in CP soap because it takes a higher temperature to melt than oils, and will happily re-solidify as you work if the temperature drops or you shock it by adding it to cold oils.

Once it is stirred into warmed oils, the temperature of the oil/wax mix can be brought down below the setting point of pure beeswax.

Back