Olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambchop

Reaction score
Hi, what grade of olive oil do you use in your soaps? Does it need to be extra virgin? I have tried pomace but it accelerated, so would like to try a different grade.

I use regular olive oil I purchase at COSTCO. I tried pomace a time or two and found it moved a bit faster but was still workable.

Thanks for replying
i'm looking to see if I can use olive oil from costco say, and get safety data sheets for it. I just can@t find that information.

Thanks for replying
i'm looking to see if I can use olive oil from costco say, and get safety data sheets for it. I just can@t find that information.

Its one of the reasons Ive been stuck with buying oils from wholesalers as I cant get the MSDS needed for safety assessments from any of the supermarkets. It would be cheaper to get elsewhere but until I can find the SDS Im stuck too!

Its one of the reasons Ive been stuck with buying oils from wholesalers as I cant get the MSDS needed for safety assessments from any of the supermarkets. It would be cheaper to get elsewhere but until I can find the SDS Im stuck too!

I have msds for pomace wholesale which is double the price. I just asked them and they sent it to me.
Iv'e emailed some supermarkets and asked them so just waiting now. just trying to settle into the best route possible.
Thanks

I also buy at costco pure olive oil, it gives me consistent results does not colour the butter , and it cheaper than any HO version of Safflower or Sunflower, I am in Canada so we do not have deals like you do people in States :(
Pomace is mixed (mostly) with canola oil, at least in the stores that carry it, ie Metro; it is more expensive than the one in costco

Thanks
I received a msds from Filippo Berio for Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 5L cost £24.99 if I buy 2 which isn't bad. I paid £42.00 for pomace 5lt x 2. I'll try it out first. I'm after a thinner trace.

Using extra virgin olive oil won't necessarily give you a thinner trace (it will still end up thick if you mix it for long enough), but it will give you a longer amount of time, compared to other oils, to work with the soap batter at thin trace.

I use Australian cold process first press olive oil, but that's because I like the quality and the price here is pretty good compared to the rest of the world.

From what I've read here, pomace olive oil is commonly used as the preferred grade in soaping (maybe someone who uses it could suggest a non-accelerating brand, if there is one?).

Hi, what grade of olive oil do you use in your soaps? Does it need to be extra virgin? I have tried pomace but it accelerated, so would like to try a different grade.

I use Australian cold process first press olive oil, but that's because I like the quality and the price here is pretty good compared to the rest of the world.

From what I've read here, pomace olive oil is commonly used as the preferred grade in soaping (maybe someone who uses it could suggest a non-accelerating brand, if there is one?).

I think this is only because it's cheap in the US. The chemicals used to extract the oil and the additive oils (it doesn't have to be 100% pomace olive) they use means it can be unpredictable in soap.

Latest posts

Back