M&P Color Fade Issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splashbombs17

Splashbombs17
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been making soaps for a few months. I made a soap for a baby shower. I've attached a picture. The top of the soap is a clear glycerin base and I used mica powder to color it. It was a beautiful dark blue, as you can see. Two weeks later, the color has completely faded and disappeared and they have all turned clear! I've searched all over and have NO clue what is causing this. Any ideas, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

Where did you get the mica that you used? Not all micas are good for using in soap, even MP. If it was colored with an FD&C dye or lake, the alkaline environment of the soap might have killed it.

The brand is Crafter's Choice. Is there a way to tell if it will morph before using it?

Just the brand name doesn't help much. What exact product did you use? They have micas for cosmetics and other uses as well as for soaps. You want to check the product information (if it's not on the packaging, look on line) and use products that are soap stable. Also, looking at the ingredient list can be a clue. If it includes any FD&C listings, it's probably not soap stable (unless the packaging states specifically that it is).

Just the brand name doesn't help much. What exact product did you use? They have micas for cosmetics and other uses as well as for soaps. You want to check the product information (if it's not on the packaging, look on line) and use products that are soap stable. Also, looking at the ingredient list can be a clue. If it includes any FD&C listings, it's probably not soap stable (unless the packaging states specifically that it is).
Ok thank you. I use cosmetic grade mica powders. No FD&C is listed in the ingredient/product information. Here are the ingredients: Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxide, Ultramarine Blue

Cosmetic grade is NOT the same as soap stable. Cosmetic grade only means it's safe to use on the skin (technically speaking, micas formulated for use specifically in soap are also 'cosmetic grade'). So, look for 'soap stable' in the product information.

Yes, actually cosmetic grade I think (correct me if I am wrong), are more like for eye shadow and stuff. Micas need to be soap safe, and not necessarily cosmetic grade to use in soap.

The good news is that you can remelt it! And redo your whole design. Make sure you put sarah wrap in your container at the top to keep the moisture of the soap.

I know some here will have issue with what I am about to tell you, but I would get at Michaels or hobby lobby the non bleeding (glycerin base) colors that come in little bottles for your project Michele's has a 50%off coupon this week!) . They are very stable in MP. The other color for MP I like is the blocks sold by BB.

I am not a huge fan of the store you mentioned, the products I have bought do not meet the quality I usually expect.

Back