soy wax for containers whats your fav?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deg195

Reaction score
I am getting ready to place an order to make soy wax container candles and I am wondering whats your favorite. I think I will be ordering from Candle Science and they carry golden brands 464 and ecosoya. Which is the better choice?

I only make candles for myself, as I absolutely love them. However, I did an experiment a few weeks back. I did three candles with the same amount of scent/color. I had an ecosoy wax, a purchased soy/paraffin blend and a soy/paraffin blend I made myself. I have to say that the scent throw and overall candle winner was the soy/paraffin blend. It melts slower, carries the scent well and looks better. (it carried the color well also). It did seem to smoke a little more though.
I don't know if this helps...but just a thought. I think the ecosoy would be awesome for wax tarts.

All soy waxes have their quirks. Some crack, some frost, some bubble, some get sink holes, some have no scent throw. Some quirks can be managed although you might not be able to get rid of the quirks completely - adding a little palm wax and/or USA is a common trick.

Ecosoya do several different soy waxes. Their pillar blend is great for pillars/votives. Their soy container waxes are: (a) advanced - candle looks great but has poor hot throw as its hit and miss with fragrances (b) CB135 (and GW415) - great hot throw but it frosts and tops don't look great (c) xcel - behaves somewhere in between advanced and CB135!

C3 is a great all round soy container wax too but has its own quirks and can only take up to 6% FO but is a favourite with the chandlers over on craftserver.

GW 464 is a close runner-up to C3, but it doesn't perform quite as well, IMHO.

If you want a great looking soy candle then go with advanced but, so you don't waste your cash, just choose those FOs which have been proven to work with advanced - candlescience have reviews of their FOs eg these are reported to throw well: pumpkin soufflé, macintosh, hazelnut coffee, honeydew melon, lilac, cinnamon sticks, cinnamon bunn, very vanilla, LoveSpell, Creme Brulee.

If you want great hot throw then go with C3, CB135, GW415 and add some palm wax/USA.

You could also try doing a paraffin soy blend to improve hot throw and help with the soy wax imperfections.

Last edited:
I use soy container wax with a little beeswax and a little palm steaic. Sorry, didn't measure, just eyeballed it.

Back