Non candle maker with question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My husband wants me to make firestarters to take camping. Here's my thought:
Egg carton stuffed with dryer lint, small wood chips, maybe some horse hair, and then pour wax in to fill and hold together. My question I have lots of old candles big super fat ones, what would you suggest to me for melting them down? Should I chunk them first, what do I melt in,anything I should think about???? Any help is good help!

Chunk them and be aware that wax is hard to remove from things, though boiling water helps. Don't get wax too hot as it can burst into flames. Can you add a wick from your melted candles to start the fire lighter?

We've also been using old beeswax for fire starters. Some suggestions. To be safe, you could use a hot plate to heat up your wax to reduce risk of fire. A cheap pan/bowl from a dollar store to melt the max since it's near impossible to clean all the wax off the pan. Dryer lint in egg carton good. Not sure about horse hair as hair typically has a not so pleasant odor when burned. It doesn't take a lot of wax to create a starter. Lightly cover the top and don't fill the entire egg carton. Use several (3 to 4) at the same time when starting the fire, spread around under your kindling (one usually won't do it).

Chopping up an 8" candle could be challenging. I would break out a good, thin knife and a cutting board and try to slice it and then chop up the individual slices. If the candle is too hard to slice, I would place it in a microwave- safe container (disposable) and use short bursts just to soften it up so I could slice it.

I would try to leave some of the dryer lint sticking through the wax, like a thick wick, because dryer lint lights easily. Sounds like a fun project!

Are these container or pillar candles? Do you know the mp of the wax? You can use a presto pot to heat it, and it will be easy, but without knowing the variables, keep it low. Warm enough to just barely melt the wax. Otherwise as another poster said, you could end up with a significant fire.
if you use the presto pot, not chunking up is necessary, just drop the candle in the pot.
Good luck.

Are these container or pillar candles? Do you know the mp of the wax? You can use a presto pot to heat it, and it will be easy, but without knowing the variables, keep it low. Warm enough to just barely melt the wax. Otherwise as another poster said, you could end up with a significant fire.
if you use the presto pot, not chunking up is necessary, just drop the candle in the pot.
Good luck.

I would say they are pillars, I don't even know what mp is :problem:, nor do I know what a presto pot is so I'm pretty sure I don't have one. Where would I get one and what else would I use it for? Or is that what it's for? Sorry I'm a little dense in the candle department! Teach me!:D I'm a willing student.

I would say they are pillars, I don't even know what mp is :problem:, nor do I know what a presto pot is so I'm pretty sure I don't have one. Where would I get one and what else would I use it for? Or is that what it's for? Sorry I'm a little dense in the candle department! Teach me!:D I'm a willing student.

MP = melt point. The temp at which the wax will melt. Pillar wax is generally higher than container wax, but then there are variables with that as well depending on if the wax is a blend or straight paraffin, beeswax (which has a pretty high mp) or palm (vegetable) that all plays into it.

This - http://www.bing.com/shopping/presto...to+pot&lpf=0&lpq=presto+pot&FORM=EGCA&lppc=16
is a presto pot. I have 4 of them and it's what I use to melt my wax. It's indirect heat (which you NEVER want to melt wax on due to increased risk of fire) and for me it is much easier and more consistent regulated heat than a double boiler. You can get them pretty much anywhere - walmart, kohl's, amazon, etc.. for around $30 or so. Or a goodwill store could possibly have them as well. (Don't use it with the lid on, this will trap the heat and could also cause the wax to catch fire)
And it's actually made for cooking, but once I use it with my wax, I don't use it in the kitchen.

Candles IMO are way harder to learn than soap because the testing is so much more intensive. However for melts, or firestarters where there isn't a wick to try and get right, they are pretty much just melt and pour, so easier than actual candle making.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. I'm always willing to help if I can.

Thanks for all the info. I use to have one of those presto pots but I never used it,wouldn't you know now I have a use and its gone. I will look for one in the junk store. I laughed at myself when you wrote what mp stood for.... Duh! O well my mind is not as quick as it use to be!
So if I find a pot I can put the whole pillar in it, without chunking?

Thanks for all the info. I use to have one of those presto pots but I never used it,wouldn't you know now I have a use and its gone. I will look for one in the junk store. I laughed at myself when you wrote what mp stood for.... Duh! O well my mind is not as quick as it use to be!
So if I find a pot I can put the whole pillar in it, without chunking?

Yes, as long as it's a pot that does not have direct heat. Otherwise you will have to use a double boiler and that you don't have to chunk it up, but it will melt faster if you do. A presto pot is not direct heat, so no double boiler method needed with it, and it will melt the wax faster.

Latest posts

Back