Dual Lye Shave Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillysuds

Reaction score
I recently found a recipe for dual lye shaving soap. It had 40% Sodium Hydroxide and 60% Potassium Hydroxide. My husband tried the soap and liked it. So I gave a bit out to some friends. My Husband has thick stubble and the soap worked well for him.

However friends with less stubble described the soap as feeling a bit strong. They did like the feel of the soap, and felt that it gave them a good shave. But it felt strong on their skin.

Since I don't have any stubble, I decided to put the shaving soap on my face and I found that it gave me a strong tingly sensation. It didn't burn or irritate my skin, but it did tingle. It felt tingly even after I had wiped the soap off.

Does anyone know what might be responsible for the tingly sensation. Also, I was wondering if there is a recommended range for a lye solution that might be more suited for sensitive skin.

The other ingredients in the soap were Stearic Acid, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Tallow, Castor Oil, and Glycerin. I used Tea Tree, Bergamot, and Lime EO.

I suspect the tea tree, which I find to be a fairly strong EO that leaves a tingly sensation behind on the skin, much like mint EO. I'd still check for zap, as DeeAnna suggested, though.

How much tea tree did you use in your batch?

Also, I was wondering if there is a recommended range for a lye solution that might be more suited for sensitive skin.

I think you meant to say 'superfat' as opposed to 'lye solution' (the former has an affect on the skin, but the latter does not). It's hard to give a recommended range of superfat % for sensitive skin. So much depends on the fatty acid profile of a given recipe, not to mention the level of an individual's particular skin sensitivities. It's truly something that can only be found out through trial and error. For example, my skin does quite well with a 5% superfat with some recipes, while with other recipes it appreciates a higher superfat of about 8%, and there are yet other recipes I need to go as high as 20% superfat.

The only way I know of to figure out the superfat that best meets ones skins needs is to make a handful of small batches of the same formula with differing superfats, and then compare them after a good cure of 4 to 8 weeks.

IrishLass :)

Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice. I did do a zap test and checked the ph when I was making it, and it was fine. But no harm in doing it again.

I think you may be right about the EO. I used 4g of Tea Tree, 8g of Bergamot,and 8g of Lime for a total of 20g of EO. Just under an ounce which is approximately 28.375 g. The total weight of oils in grams was 822g.

I will try this recipe again and with out EO, and with different superfat calculations.

Thanks again. Your tips and advice were very helpful. Including the instructions on how to properly conduct a zap test.

Back