Do some threads just DISAPPEAR?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking for the thread I started yesterday about looking for colorant, and it's not here. At first I just thought it was being moved because it became more of a discussion than a classified, but I don't see it, anywhere!

Thanx, maybe one will reply here, as I am not really sure who they are yet! It's really not a big deal at all, I'm just curious as to if I've either done something wrong and it got deleted, or if it just went "poof"!!

It didn't go poof, if its missing, and it seems to be, there was a reason for it being deleted.

some of the mods are shunt2011, lsg, IrishLass, Relle

I REALLY wish you mods had a policy of sending a message to someone when you delete one of their threads or posts for rules violations (except spammers- they KNOW they're breaking rules already). Even just a quick one line 'post/thread deleted by a mod- rule violation' would be great!

I REALLY wish you mods had a policy of sending a message to someone when you delete one of their threads or posts for rules violations (except spammers- they KNOW they're breaking rules already). Even just a quick one line 'post/thread deleted by a mod- rule violation' would be great!

It matters to me only in that if I did something wrong, I need to know so that I don't do it again! I suspect it's because I made it chat about colorants rather than sticking to a "looking to buy".

Last edited:

That is a good suggestion. I think that I always try to send a pm explaining, if I haven't listed the reason in the "reason for deleting " box.

When I was a mod, I would usually send a pm. But it's also our responsibility as members to make sure that we are following the rules, rather than the responsibility of the modmins to do it for each user

Whereas I'm not sure that I broke any... although I believe my last post said something like, "we may need to move this thread." A forum that I belonged to, long ago, would occasionally move a thread in a situation where it started as one thing, then became another. My thread in the classies began as a 'looking to buy' colorants, to a discussion about colorants. Not a detelable offense, IMO, but I would like to know if that was the reason, or if it's something else completely.

Whereas I'm not sure that I broke any... although I believe my last post said something like, "we may need to move this thread." A forum that I belonged to, long ago, would occasionally move a thread in a situation where it started as one thing, then became another. My thread in the classies began as a 'looking to buy' colorants, to a discussion about colorants. Not a detelable offense, IMO, but I would like to know if that was the reason, or if it's something else completely.

You should contact Relle, since she is the one who deleted it and ask her, in a nice way of course, how you can prevent such a deletion in the future. I remember reading your post and maybe a response or two. I wasn't aware it was in the Classified section, though and from what I remember about it, it didn't seem to me like a 'Wanted to buy' kind of thread, but I may have not read it thoroughly.

EDIT: Now I see how it was a 'rule violation':

: SMF requires active membership of at least 15 days and requires a minimum of (5) posts & (15) days membership before posting any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other similar transaction. In Search Of (ISO) ads do not need to meet this limit. [end quote]

It was an 'In Search of' ad, so does not fit in the members classifieds. Maybe you could start another thread in one of the soap forums, maybe the beginner's one about where to obtain micas (I think that's what you wanted, was micas for soap making, right?)

You should contact Relle, since she is the one who deleted it and ask her, in a nice way of course, how you can prevent such a deletion in the future. I remember reading your post and maybe a response or two. I wasn't aware it was in the Classified section, though and from what I remember about it, it didn't seem to me like a 'Wanted to buy' kind of thread, but I may have not read it thoroughly.

: SMF requires active membership of at least 15 days and requires a minimum of (5) posts & (15) days membership before posting any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other similar transaction. In Search Of (ISO) ads do not need to meet this limit. [end quote]

It was an 'In Search of' ad, so does not fit in the members classifieds. Maybe you could start another thread in one of the soap forums, maybe the beginner's one about where to obtain micas (I think that's what you wanted, was micas for soap making, right?)

Hmmm... I don't read it that way, it seems to me that it means if one is ISO, then they don't need to meet those requirements (although I do). I guess I will have to contact her. Thanx!

Hmmm... I don't read it that way, it seems to me that it means if one is ISO, then they don't need to meet those requirements (although I do). I guess I will have to contact her. Thanx!

I think where you may have tripped was not including the required disclaimer in your original post, though I could be mistaken. Things like this is why I'd love to see mods messaging people when posts and threads are deleted, so we'll know WHICH rule we broke so we won't do it again. I've tripped over sub-forum rules myself, even after having read them.

I think where you may have tripped was not including the required disclaimer in your original post, though I could be mistaken. Things like this is why I'd love to see mods messaging people when posts and threads are deleted, so we'll know WHICH rule we broke so we won't do it again. I've tripped over sub-forum rules myself, even after having read them.

I did wonder that too, but without the original post, I can't be sure. I did begin my post with (I think) either ISO, or looking to buy. I can't imagine that as an infarction though, as it seems so petty!!

I don't remember for sure if you had this disclaimer at the beginning of your post, but I kind of think it wasn't there and may be the reason your thread was removed.

The following disclaimer must be posted at the beginning of each sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other similar transactions:

DISCLAIMER: SMF is not responsible for any sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other transactions between members. All parties enter into transactions at their own will/risk.

I don't remember for sure if you had this disclaimer at the beginning of your post, but I kind of think it wasn't there and may be the reason your thread was removed.

The following disclaimer must be posted at the beginning of each sale, trade, co-op, pre-buy, fast buy, garage sale, ad or other similar transactions:

I wondered that too, as 'in search of' doesn't fit any of the above descriptions, I imagine that it falls under 'similar transactions '. I'm beginning to get annoyed now, that the 'deleter ' hasn't come forward and said!!

Well, if the delete was by Relle, she is in Australia so maybe the time difference. The mods here do a good job, and I have found them to be responsive when they need to be. And I would also guess that, yes, your request would fall under the 'transactions between members' umbrella.

Latest posts

Back