bb recipe differences

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

Reaction score
I have noticed there are plenty of recipes out there for home made BB's. some ranging from the simple ingredients that you have in your home, to other recipes that require special ingredients.

I have been using this for a few runs, still trying to figure a couple things out.
4 oz. baking soda
2 oz. corn starch
2 oz. citric acid
2 oz. Epsom salt
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon essential oil
1 1/4 teaspoon oil (I like coconut or olive oil here)
1-2 drops food coloring (optional)

when you compare this recipe to others that are more advanced (PS80, mica, witch water oil stuff, etc.), for them being night and in day in simplicity, what is so different with the end result? I don't want to go out and buy all the specialty ingredients without knowing why it's better/more beneficial than using the ingredients shown above.

I'm all for switching, if I understood why it's better. I believe going the more advanced route is definitely more expensive.

no, no one said the other recipes are "better", or that I should switch, but I am also second guessing he recipe I have been using. It is not perfect. but i am trying to find a recipe that works perfectly and the scent in the bath water is a plenty.

Everyone likes different things. I don't use Epsom salt or cornstarch in mine. Personal preference. I don't use water but use alcohol or witchhazel if needed. I use cocoa butter or mango butter in mine and no liquid oils. Again personal choice. I use skin approved colorants not food coloring and I PS 80 as it help disburse the oils and colorants so there's no oil slick or color slick in the tub. Sometimes I use SLSA and Kaolin Clay.

HOLY CRAP.........that must have taken a lot of money to make it perfecto. that's what I was trying to get away from. again, give me a recipe that works perfectly and call it a day.
but I see how that can't happen, since everyone's tastes are different.

so my question is this. How did you determine to replace this with that and make it work? That's a lot of trial and error.............that would piss me off :)

I see how it's not as straight forward as I'd like it to be, but where do you even start when it comes to trying this over that? If you can't tell, I'm trying to avoid buying everything under the sun just to find it didn't work.

I mean you can't start adding this and that, without it messing up the chemistry of dry vs wet ingredients. can you? too much thinking involved. :)

I don't know that one recipe is better than the others, but I think it depends on your goal for an end result. I've bought some expensive bath bombs for myself that have sophisticated fragrances, multiple colors, and moisturizing ingredients. Would I buy or make these types of bath bombs for my kids (who LOVE bath bombs, by the way)? Umm, no. They basically like the fizz & color. They could care less about the scent or skin feel.

I get that. The bombs I make in the OP, fizz, have minimal color, but scent and moisturizers are lacking. I'd love to use that recipe and only tweaking a couple things. Rather than scrapping all, and starting with all new ingredients. I mean, I am not making these for money, but would certainly love for them to be fragrant/moisturizing. Since mine are lacking, that's mainly the only reason I've pondered looking else where.

I just made a couple bombs by changing out the olive oil, and the water............and substituting them with all coconut oil, same measurements. In the same tweak, I also doubled the essential oil. I haven't gotten feedback yet, on how these turned out. Once I get that feedback, I will see what I need to do from there.

I do know that the gel food coloring, and the liquid food coloring does not mix with the oil. So I may need to look in to that mica coloring. But then that will also need PS80 to prevent staining of the bath tub, yes?

I do know that the gel food coloring, and the liquid food coloring does not mix with the oil. So I may need to look in to that mica coloring. But then that will also need PS80 to prevent staining of the bath tub, yes?

Also food coloring is not allowed per the FDA, so if you ever do decide you want to start giving or selling your fizzies, you will need to reformulate. Easier IMO to just start with the proper ingredients in the first place.

Micas can stain the tub yes, if a lot is used without PS80, however, what is more likely to happen is it will clump up and float around on the top of the water and just look ugly, and or stick to the persons skin as they are getting out of the tub.

As others have said, it's a lot of trial and error, and I have found that bath bombs are the worst to perfect. There are so many variables to take into consideration, including the humidity in the air around you if it's not regulated.

I get that. The bombs I make in the OP, fizz, have minimal color, but scent and moisturizers are lacking. I'd love to use that recipe and only tweaking a couple things. Rather than scrapping all, and starting with all new ingredients. I mean, I am not making these for money, but would certainly love for them to be fragrant/moisturizing. Since mine are lacking, that's mainly the only reason I've pondered looking else where.

I just made a couple bombs by changing out the olive oil, and the water............and substituting them with all coconut oil, same measurements. In the same tweak, I also doubled the essential oil. I haven't gotten feedback yet, on how these turned out. Once I get that feedback, I will see what I need to do from there.

The recipe I gave you in the link above has less ingredients than you are using now and it works. I don’t think there is much use tweaking your recipe if it does not work.

I see.

As I mentioned, I will see what my feedback is on the latest tweaks, but will most likely try the one you gave me.
I always see these essential oils in really small bottles. the recipe for two balls pretty much takes a whole bottle, or close to. Guess ther eis no way around that, short of not using them.

I was looking at the oils from Apothecary. They have a lot of scents. But I also realize the bottles are comparable to every other place that sells them. (size wise). I haven't bought from them before but it looks promising. As long as I can justify shipping costs

You could always use FO’s. There are many suppliers and they can be much more cost effective. Plus more choices. Just another option. It’s also more cost effective to buy in larger quantities.

If you are using essential oils you use MUCH MUCH less. Just a few drops. They are highly concentrated. For instance, in my anise - mint bombs I use 5 drops of anise essential oil to 1 tsp of peppermint candy fragrance oil. (You have to try this combo - it's divine!)

hmmmmm, ok let's ask this then, cause the amount of EO that I used, would have my tub smelling like a eucalyptus factory. But wuite the opposite.

As I mentioned in the OP, that was the recipe I used. It called for a teaspoon, which I think was half the little bottle of EO. The tester said there was no scent in the tub whatsoever. So does that go to faulty oils, or something else that leached the smell out of the bomb? I have placed the bomb in ziplock bags, and also another attempt was placing them in a plastic bowl with a screw lid. Both lacked scent, and both used the EO from the kit I posted.

If EO's are that more potent, then where did my scent go?

Storage can effect a scent. If you didn’t package the bombs the scent could easily dissipate. You also have to take scent expectations into account, noses are very subjective. An example: One of the last times i worked with a coworker (usually work alone) I was asking her for a review on some of my lotions, without fail she thought they were all underscented but I felt they all had the perfect amount of scent. I scented a later batch to her strength and it was way too heavy for me (even is a candy cane scent that I otherwise love).

If you max out of the safety percentages of your scent then package your bombs a bit more securely, plastic containers work well to lock in fragrance.

well, once the BB is made, I have been letting it sit exposed to air for 1-3 days so it becomes hard. How much scent am I losing due to that? Once the bombs are made, can they be placed in a sealed container immediately? Or does it need that open air dry time to fully cure?

Read this:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/back-to-basics-bath-bombs.html?m=1

Unfortunately making soap etc is about trial and error because your climate might be different, your water might be different, your skin is different.

before trying the recipe in the link, I have a little update from the change I made to the OP recipe that I showed.

I replaced the water with oil, and switched all the oil from olive oil to coconut oil (100%). I used 2 tsp of EO. After doing all this, my tester said her skin felt silky smooth, and the scent was really strong during the whole bath time. I may try cutting that scent in half to see how well it performs. This is exciting that it did everything it was supposed to.

I will be trying the link above now and see how it turns out.

Once I determine which one is better, I will stick with it. Then I need to look in to the coloring agent after that. Scent and structure needs to be nailed down first :)

Since recipes vary, have you thought about buying bombs from other makers & seeing how well you like them? I would guess that buying a single BB here and there would be a little cheaper than buying all of the ingredients to experiment with. Then if you find one that you like, you could create your own based on that bombs ingredient list.

soapaddict415 - this may be a dumb question, but I think I might be missing the obvious factor there. If I were to buy BB's from other makers, and I find one I really like, I find it hard to believe that said seller would release the recipe for me to duplicate. Sure the BB might do everything I want, but how would I duplicate it without knowing recipe amounts?

did I miss the point?

Latest posts

Back