A cut toward more professional bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After six years of soaping, I finally want the option to sell. It seemed like too much hassle before, but this year I had enough serious inquiries that I want to give it a try. I don't expect I will get too wrapped up though, as I have a full-time job and really value my free time. I don't want soaping to become a chore.

I already made one hard choice. I ordered a different cutter so I can produce bars of equal width. I already have a beautiful wooden multi-wire cutter that my husband handmade a few years ago, and I feel sad and guilty for replacing it. But I finally had the dreaded conversation with him, and he supported me in buying something different. I'll still use his cutter for purposefully placed cuts and ends when they are needed, since it has flexibility to allow those.

I got the 1 1/8" metal Bud cutter, hoping the cured bars will be about 1" wide. Compared to the smaller DH cuts (around 3/4"), these will fit my boxes better and be a better value to customers, while hopefully not being too big for most hands.

Anyone else use a 1 1/8" cut, and do you get feedback that it's a reasonable size? I made a decision based on the factors above, but I'm still curious what your experience might be. I didn't want to ask until I couldn't change my mind -- or I might not have ever ordered the dang thing!

I have that same cutter and love it. In my molds it gives me about 5 oz bars a bit more than an inch wide. My customers seem to like them a lot. Congratulations. I had the same thing, my husband made my first cutter but I needed something a little heavier duty. So, I gave it to my sister in law who just makes soap for fun.

I cut my bars one at a time but the mark on my guide is 1 1/8". Assuming I actually cut them at that size, my cured bars are all 1" or slightly larger.
I have small hands and this thickness is not too big. What I do have trouble with is wide bars, tall & skinny for my hands is better then a typical wide square.

Thanks you three, I appreciate the feedback -- and your support.

Obsidian, that's great testimony from your small hands. It's exactly what I wanted to know.

Shari, I'm glad your cutter stayed in the family. Sharing the love without letting it get too far away!

Back