Scented salt crystal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap making became a Christmas tradition at my house - replacing Christmas baking. There's been very little free time to make much soap so I've been looking for faster Christmas projects - so I bought more supplies for candle making. Then the Santa Ana winds hit and we now have a major fire very close to us - and that sure sucks the interest out of candle testing!

I came across some very brief information about mixing fo's with salt to make room fresheners but the information is very vague. Anyone have any experience with this?

Oops, I didn't explain well, did I? The scented salt is (I believe) also called crystal potpourri. It's not for bathing, simply scenting a room after placing in an open jar or dish.

I love to have crackling wick Christmas scented candles this time of year and intended to make my own. They are very expensive especially considering the ones I bought last year on sale at Target were drastically lower in quality (burn quality was dangerous) than the same brand I bought 2 years ago. When I'm home alone I can usually comfortably burn candles during fire season (little one will be off to visit relatives at Christmas) because I put them in the kitchen or bathroom sinks and remove all nearby flammables. But if the humidity level remains in the single digits, that's simply a stupid thing to do.

I don't, but just wanted to say I hope you stay safe from the fires.

Thank you Dibbles. We expect to remain safe enough from the Lilac fire, but of course the winds can do anything to spread it like mad. The air is clearer where we are. Everyone here is being extra careful about sparks - even the school construction near us was shut down during the winds. Any leaf blower, car backfire, cigarette can instantly become dangerous. People are on edge - there's very little traffic on the roads these days as people stay home.

We're very envious of those who are getting snow in December! Yes, it's a pain and I'm sure we'd be tired of it quickly, but we'd like to have some for a few days!

This recipe is made with Jumbo Crystal Salt. I'm sorry I don't have the source for the recipe but if I remember correctly, I think it's from MMS but I just checked and couldn't find it. The salt I have is from there but I didn't find it either. It's marble size chunks. I have it in a cut glass sugar bowl that I can take the lid on and off as needed. Pretty!

SPARKLY SALT POTPOURRI

Measure out your salt into a colander. By rinsing off the dust, you get clear, glass looking pieces of salt. I like the appearance of washed salt vs. unwashed salt. If you like the appearance of the unwashed salt, go ahead and skip this step.

Shake as much water as you can off the salt. Pour the damp salt into a plastic bag. Add the premixed Purple Raspberry Color to the salt. Sprinkle in a tiny amount of citric acid. I used less than 1/16th of a tsp of Citric Acid. Once you have achieved the color you desire, add your mica and shake well. The goal is to have the mica lightly coat the salt. You don’t want to use too much mica otherwise the salt can get a chalky appearance.

Spread the damp salt out on a layer of paper towels or cardboard and let it dry. Once the salt has dried, add your fragrance. I like to start out with a small amount of fragrance and adding a few drops of fragrance oil every few weeks to keep the scent strong and fresh. If you add a lot of fragrance to the salt up front, it is often too strong.

907 grams - 32 oz - 99% - Jumbo Crystal Salt
Q.S. Color - Q.S. Color - Q.S. Color Premixed
Q.S. Citric Acid - Q.S. Citric Acid - Q.S. Citric Acid - less than 1/16th tsp
1.5 grams - 0.05 oz - Q.S. Silver Mica
3 grams - 0.11 oz - 1% Fragrance Oil

Latest posts

Back