OK to CPOP several loaves of different scents together?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be alright to CPOP several different kinds of loaves with different scents at the same time in the oven? Would the scents cross over and muddy up the individual scents?

Thanks for your help in advance!

the CPOP is promoting gel so it's safe , because the scents are permeating out of the soap , not saturating into the soap . so the scent are not jumping out . I'm sure there is a better way to explain this but that was the quickest thing that came to mind . hope you get the jest of it .

the CPOP is promoting gel so it's safe , because the scents are permeating out of the soap , not saturating into the soap . so the scent are not jumping out . I'm sure there is a better way to explain this but that was the quickest thing that came to mind . hope you get the jest of it .

Thank you! Have you done this yourself?

Thank you! Have you done this yourself?
no , i do not CPOP , my soaps always reach full gel with insulating blankets. what i was driving at is that your scents will not intermingle with each other .

no , i do not CPOP , my soaps always reach full gel with insulating blankets. what i was driving at is that your scents will not intermingle with each other .

With all due respect....how would you know this if you have never tried it?

I don't CPOP but I gel several loafs of soap at once under the same cover and towels and have never had the scents transfer.

Ah..I see! Thanks for explaining! How long does it take for it to gel under cover? Does the gelling cause a faster saponificatin than CP without insulation?

I want to make some luxury goat milk soap that will already be saponified, thus I am looking at the CPOP method.

Soap will saponify if you cover, cook or put it in the fridge. It's just a matter of time. I gel so it's usually ready to cut in 8-18 hours. Just depends on the recipe. Those that choose to not gel it can take up to 3 days. Then it will require 4-6 weeks to cure.

I have not CPOPed multiple scents together but, I can tell you that it wont cause any problems to do so. I CPOP almost all of my soaps. I have a lot of problems with partial gel otherwise.

When you CPOP, the scents only barely waft off the soap. You are only placing the soap in the oven (usually with it warmed up to 170 F then turned off) to ensure gel. That's it. You aren't cooking the soap like in HP. You have already added in your scents to your batter when doing CPOP. If the scents did intermingle on the finished bars themselves it would mean that you would have a significant scent loss which is NOT the case with CPOP.

You may get a mix of scents when you personally open up the oven to remove the soaps after CPOPing them in the oven. But, after 4-6 weeks of curing, no residual scents will be left on the bars. I've soaped tiny cups of batter as testers right next to each other and never have an issue with scent transfer.

Lion is right in the explanation.

I have not CPOPed multiple scents together but, I can tell you that it wont cause any problems to do so. I CPOP almost all of my soaps. I have a lot of problems with partial gel otherwise.

When you CPOP, the scents only barely waft off the soap. You are only placing the soap in the oven (usually with it warmed up to 170 F then turned off) to ensure gel. That's it. You aren't cooking the soap like in HP. You have already added in your scents to your batter when doing CPOP. If the scents did intermingle on the finished bars themselves it would mean that you would have a significant scent loss which is NOT the case with CPOP.

You may get a mix of scents when you personally open up the oven to remove the soaps after CPOPing them in the oven. But, after 4-6 weeks of curing, no residual scents will be left on the bars. I've soaped tiny cups of batter as testers right next to each other and never have an issue with scent transfer.

Lion is right in the explanation.

Thank you!
Soap will saponify if you cover, cook or put it in the fridge. It's just a matter of time. I gel so it's usually ready to cut in 8-18 hours. Just depends on the recipe. Those that choose to not gel it can take up to 3 days. Then it will require 4-6 weeks to cure.

Yes...I do understand that they all saponify and that it is a matter of differences in time.

I was wondering if gelling under cover would cause the soap to saponify just as fast as CPOP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...I do understand that they all saponify and that it is a matter of differences in time.

I was wondering if gelling under cover would cause the soap to saponify just as fast as CPOP?

I'm not sure as I don't CPOP. The couple times I tried I had probelms with overheating and little bumps on my soap. Didn't like it so found that insulating works fantastic for me. I just put a cover on my loaves and insulate with a couple towels and they gel all by themselves.

I turn the oven to 100degrees F and turn it off and put my soap wrapped in a blanket in the oven. I have used this method with 2 soaps with different scents at the same time and no problem. Wrapping soap in a blanket and leaving it in the bench does not ensure gel for me.

I don't gel milk soap. I put it in the fridge.

With all due respect....how would you know this if you have never tried it?

do you think i would not know because i have not done it before ???? well i came from the bases of understanding what CPOP is , then i add my knowledge of what EO is and how it behaves in the soap making process. if you feel that i am not qualified to answer the question then please disregard my answer .

I have done 3 digfferent scents in the oven at once -- in the same mold-- and there was no transfer of scent.

I prefer to let them gel outside of the oven because I overheat every time. :(

I don't sell so partial gel is not going to hurt anybody. My family doesn't care. Friends who receive free handmade soap do not complain out the appearance. :)

Back