Drying soap on wire racks taboo?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hozhed

Reaction score
I read here somewhere that wire racks should not be used for drying soap? I have 8 batches on wire racks right now. I don't know whether they are chrome or stainless, but I have a layer of paper towel under the soap and on top as well, in a large chest of drawers.......I see nothing wrong with the soap, but should I get another type of drying rack?

You're fine. Wire racks can leave marks on softer soap, and some people say it contributes to DOS if the soap is directly in contact with the wire.

I use 1020 plastic flat trays to cure mine, so no problems there. Any shield, paper towel or whatever, is sufficient to get around the DOS problem and probably gives enough cushioning to alleviate the dent issue as well.

As long as the soap doesn't touch metal, you should be ok, but I would want a bit more than a paper towel, just in case the soap weeps a bit or something. Anything but good quality stainless will leave a mark that looks surprisingly like the dreaded orange spots or rust.

As long as the soap doesn't touch metal, you should be ok, but I would want a bit more than a paper towel, just in case the soap weeps a bit or something. Anything but good quality stainless will leave a mark that looks surprisingly like the dreaded orange spots or rust.

Great! I think my racks are stainless, but will get my magnet out and double check. thanks.

Are they able to get a lot of air? That is one major factor in curing - airflow.

On another note, how often do you make soap to have 8 batches on the racks? Is this one recipe or lots of different ones?

I get a little carried away when I start a hobby, whether its woodworking, beekeeping, snowmobiling, ect ,ect, so that's why I have so many batches of soap made up. :razz:

Ooh ... beekeeping .. I loves me some hunney! :)

So what would be the "best" rack? Wood? Can absorb oils. The other methods (lined shelves) do cut down on airflow which is sort of the whole idea behind using a rack. Some sort of plastic mesh maybe? It would spread the load to avoid lines while allowing airflow:

pg86-Protective-MeshSleeving_1.jpg

This is the sort of thing that keeps me thinking soap while I am at work supposedly paying attention to a conference call. :)

I use clean white cotton toweling -- the older and more lint free, the better. Cheap, absorbent, reusable ... what's not to like? :)

I use clean white cotton toweling -- the older and more lint free, the better. Cheap, absorbent, reusable ... what's not to like? :)

I was gonna use towels, but was worried about getting even on fiber on a bar of soap and some customer not liking it. I make my soap in the room where I do my bee stuff to avoid any stray,airborne fiber,dog hair, etc,etc.
bUt maybe since its not something that people eat, I may over doing it a bit.:confused:

Sheets of plastic canvas from the craft store work great. You get air flow, and the soaps only touch the plastic. :)

"...I was gonna use towels, but was worried about getting even on fiber on a bar of soap..."

That will happen just by handling soap with your clothes on and your hair not netted. Soap in the nude and go bald, anyone? :wink:

Seriously, I don't see any problems on my soaps with lint, but I want to stress that I do use well-washed toweling.

"...I was gonna use towels, but was worried about getting even on fiber on a bar of soap..."

That will happen just by handling soap with your clothes on and your hair not netted. Soap in the nude and go bald, anyone? :wink:

Seriously, I don't see any problems on my soaps with lint, but I want to stress that I do use well-washed toweling.

I should be all set then,....I am bald, and always wear gloves.............lol:twisted:

Latest posts

Back