A picture of ricing, volcanos, separating, overheating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures

I'd like to also say - thanks for those pictures. I know now I have had; a couple of batches of glycerine rivers (cause TD I think), one mild alien brain (hidden well under some dried orange peel decoration)and maybe a mini lye problem - very small clear spots in a coconut soap. The day I can do those beautiful herring bone patterns in a soap is the day I know I've made it!!!:shock:

Thanks for this thread,it's very helpful. I'm going to put it into a word document and print it out to have on hand in case of issues so I can have some hope of dealing with them.

Is there a shot of emulsion out there so I don't go past it next time?

ETA a link from soap queen pics of 'pre emulsion', emulsion and trace
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/trace/

Cookie, I think it's difficult to look at a picture of soap batter and say, "That's emulsified." Emulsion is a tricky thing, and not so very easy to recognize. It's one of those things that becomes easier with experience. Lots and lots of batches, and watching carefully what happens as you mix. It took me years to be confident that I was seeing emulsion. I was always worried it wasn't quite there yet, and before you know it......trace! As you mix, watch for the oily sheen to disappear, but depending on your recipe, your stick blender, temp of the batter, things can move really quickly past emulsion, so you have watch closely, and you will become more confident at identifying the stages of your soap batter.

Lye crystals in soap

Screen shot 2015-02-15 at 7.51.07 PM.png

Well, this is interesting, some things I've never seen before, YET. LOL

That overflowing or exploding Volcano got my attention as I been putting my soap into an oven I'm not using right now. I think after seeing that one I'll be putting a LARGE pan under my soaps. Not a mess I'd want to be cleaning out of the oven!

Back