Homemade custom mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
I could use some brainstorming help on how to build this mold that I want!

I'd like to make a tissue-box-sized mold for an idea I had... but tissue boxes themselves aren't quite sturdy enough. I don't need the mold to last more than one or two uses, plus dealing with solid wood for a mold that would last would be difficult with the tools I currently have easy access to.

I'm mostly looking for something that won't bow under the weight of the soap--which the thin cardboard of tissue boxes fails at, even when reinforced by bamboo skewers.

Could you duct tape multiple layers of cardboard around the tissue box to reinforce it?

I've used cardboard boxs before. The trick that worked well for me is either pieces of wood or Lexan ( I think that's what it's called) with C clamps on either side :)
Otherwise you could always try looking online for soap mold templates. Good luck! :)

Cardboard comes in many different weights. You can definitely find cardboard that will not bend. Cut any thick cardboard it to the size you want - hold together with tape or glue. Line it with thin plastic bag or cellophane wrap. You won't need anything too thick for a small box. Go to a recycling center and you'll find lots to choose from.

Go to the dollar store and get some foam board, you don't have to cut all the way through it. Just score it and fold it all the way around the box then tape it will duct tape. I've used it before to reinforce flimsy boxes.

The small FedEx or USPS boxes worked great when I first started making soap. Just be sure to line them with freezer or parchment paper.

For a quick and dirty "mold" exterior to reinforce the sides of a weak box, putting a stack of books on either side works well. It's nothing I'd want to do permanently, but for a few batches it won't be too annoying.

If you know where to get "coroplast" corrugated plastic, you can use it to make molds with just a ruler and sharp box-cutter knife. Political campaign signs are often made out of this stuff, so you can even do your part to recycle stuff that would otherwise be landfilled. You can sometimes buy sheets of this stuff at your local big-box hardware store.

Soap Queen tutorial: http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/the-15-minute-soap-mold/
Video tutorial: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MpysoseOA[/ame]

You know Deeanna, I've seen that material suggested for another hobby/craft I want to get into as well. lol I meant to try to find some in November after the election, but things weren't going well so I ended up not. (Plus, I wasn't seeing many of them anyways. It seems like all of the politicians were blasting out ads through the post instead.) I'm not sure I've ever seen it in the hardware stores either... It's certainly something to keep an eye out for.

The lady in the video said she got it at Home Despot :) if I remember right.

FlybyStardancer, it's the same stuff that for sale, for rent, etc., signs are made out of at hardware stores.
Just ask someone and they can point you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back