Phenolphthalein Testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap is a salt. So that's part of it. But saponification can continue at a slow rate for days, meaning there could be the tiniest trace of unreacted lye. If that happens wait a few days and try again.

A zap from excess alkali is immediate and unmistakable. Think of burning your tongue on hot coffee -- there's little or no time delay between taking a sip and seriously regretting it. A zap is like that, even if you're cautious and rub your finger on the soap and taste your finger. I got really used to getting zapped with the super-lye-heavy soap I mentioned earlier in this thread. Just a tiny taste is all that's required, at least for me, to tell the difference between zap and no-zap.

If your tongue tingles, burns, or whatever after a delay, the sensation is most likely from something else. In my experience, my FO or EO is often the culprit causing a delayed icky taste.

Thank you so much!!! I think I get it now. I've only had a few that zapped right away but some are now burning with delay. It crossed my mind that it might be fo or eo or another additive since I add a lot of herbs and powders to my soap, oh and salt too sometimes. Anyway thanks for the reply bc I was confused!

Back